Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
For example, the youtube app sucks now and really, really needs an update. The contacts should have the option for visual contacts when scrolling, not just when you click it or receive a call. The weather needs a dynamic icon, maps is pretty useless and photo's could do with some new features.

Seems Apple have rested on their laurels and updated the OS, but not the core applications. What do you guys think?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It certainly is. The YouTube app is pathetically slow compared to the mobile web interface. And for maps, I don't care about the politics, Apple needs to get Google to make it the Google Navigation app.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Apple needs to make all the stock apps just that, apps. They need to be user removable since basically all of them can be replaced with much better applications from the app store. This way they could also be updated without a full OS update.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I wish I could group my contact list

1. work
2. family
3. friends

it's so annoying scrolling through hundreds of names just to find one contacts info.

jasonforisrael

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
i think it's officially dead.

they probably realize there are much better apps to be had in the store. and the youtube webapp is pretty much perfect - if only clicking youtube links would open up there rather than the youtube app.

SeVeN

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
San Jose

they probably realize there are much better apps to be had in the store. and the youtube webapp is pretty much perfect - if only clicking youtube links would open up there rather than the youtube app.

It will if you put a parental block on the YouTube app.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
I agree witheveryhing except for maps, for me it does everything I need it to do + built onto ios. and it's pretty damn fast on the iPhone 4g

oBMTo

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2010

What makes the youtube webapp better? I still have trouble finding the videos I wont without a sort "Most Viewed" option.

rk1991

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
What makes the youtube webapp better? I still have trouble finding the videos I wont without a sort "Most Viewed" option.

It actually plays in HQ. I just left my youtube app alone and added a shortcut of the web app.

oBMTo

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2010
So any solution for the problem of actually finding the video you want to see?

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Apple has updated just for the record. The calendar and mail apps are much more usable.

Since Apple can't officially endorse downloading YouTube vids anyways, it's better to go with an app like Downloads anyways.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Wow, seems like everyone is in agreement then! Another thing I would like to see is an updated Camera app. I want more control over the exposure and pinch and zoom for focus.

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Don't disagree that the apple apps need to be kept current in terms of speed and usability, but why would/should Apple spend a lot of time and money adding tons of features to free apps that already satisfy the large majority of users?

And, for those that aren't satisfied, there's almost always a 3rd party app with the feature you want.

If apple apps did everything you suggest, the overall interest in the app store and the iphone in general would decrease. Above all, Apple is a business.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I would also like to see Apple give us an option to delete them. There are some that I haven't used on any of my 4 iPhones. It's not a huge deal, and the folders have helped, but it still bugs me that we don't have the option at least.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I sent Steve Jobs an email about my idea for the Photos app. Clicking and dragging photos to folders so we can make our photos easier to find.

Example:
Say i take 15 pictures today at the park. I drag them (Like we do with apps in folders now) on top of each other and i have one spot taken instead of 15. It'd make the photos app much quicker and easier to navigate. Ability to add images AND videos. It seems simple enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.