Is it not possible to do two iphones on a regular family plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Enlite, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Enlite macrumors newbie

I've asked this question before, and got the answer of, yes you can. However, this morning, I was woken up by my dad calling me all the way from Florida (I live in CA), and he tells me, he just bought the Instinct on tat $99 everything plan. I was just going wtf? I asked him how come he's not doing the family plan with AT&T and doing a $150 a month plan (2 included plans 2 iphones?). He tells me that he's looked into it, and you just can't do it at all. So now, I'm just so completely lost.

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

With all due respect, your dad is was mis-informed or was NOT at a corp. AT&T store. Being you say he bought a SPRINT instinct I'd say part B applies:D
    You can do 5 iPhones on a family plan if you want, i believe someone posted they had that arrangement.

My current Family plan is;
    Phone 1 iPhone 2g
    Phone 2 BlackBerry
    Phone 3 iPhone 3g
    Phone 4 Samsung Sync
    Phone 5 Samsung Sync
    Yeah that bill is ugly:D

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yes, you CAN have 2 iPhone's on a family plan. I personally just did it yesterday and got my mother a new iPhone 3G. We went from a v1 iPhone and one iPhone 3G, then we just got a third iPhone on a single family plan. It works great and because my white iPhone 3G is the primary line, our 25% corporate discount applies to our AT&T bill.

4. Alloye macrumors 6502a

I'll contribute another confirmation that you can have two or more iPhones on a family plan.

5. Enlite thread starter macrumors newbie

Well ok thanks. But also what about price? Seeing as how he got himself a 'omg instinct', that pretty much leaves my mother, little brother, and I, in need of a need phone. Personally, what I want to do is, a 700 minute family plan, where the two will get the included lines, and we just add on the Iphone as the third line. Now if I do this correctly, thats $70 a month base with the two included lines, $10 for the additional line, and $30 for the data plan. Putting it at $110 a month for the three of us. Anyone confirm that?
    Because what my dad is telling me, is that he "looked" into it, and is saying its going to be much more that $150 a month, had we done that exact scenario I just said, but with a second Iphone.
    I just need to know for sure that I can get the Iphone on that regular family plan, without some huge cost I don't know about or anything.

6. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

You will get multiple quotes on prices as they can vary with the features that people select. Your best bet is to go to an AT&T corporate store and have a sales rep go through the pricing with you. I think you can also do this online but you will probably have questions so the rep can help you out. Just make sure you understand all the fine print and know exactly what you want/need.

7. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

+1 on the advice to speak to a AT&T Corp store rep:p
    Base ATT family plan (700min) $69.99
    1x $30 data plans
    1x $30 family unlimited txt/mms etc plan
    2x $9.99 add lines
    Thats about $150 base bill + taxes/Fees your looking at about a $200 month cell bill

8. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Me and my dad have the 3G on a 4 number regular family plan.

nooo problems :D

9. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

we have 3 iPhones on our family plan

your dad really screwed the pooch

10. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

my family plan is:

iPhone
    iPhone 3g
    iPhone 3g

about $180/month

11. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

FYI, if your dad just signed up with Sprint he should be able to return the phone and cancel service without an ETF.

12. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

It is $39.99/month to add an iPhone 3g to any family plan. ($30 for unlimited iPhone data + $9.99 to add the line)

13. Enlite thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm thinking of not getting the unlimited text, maybe just the $5 250 one, because I'd rather just use AIM. Everyone I know mostly uses AIM anyways, only use the text for certain things really.

Is it really $39 a month to add an Iphone onto ANY plan? I thought people were saying that it acts as adding a regular line?

14. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

This is why I suggested you head on over to an AT&T corporate store. People know what they mean when they type it, unfortunately people don't always read it the way the writer meant.

Seriously, I know you are trying to get answers and I commend you for trying to do your research, but the only way you are going to get an accurate answer based on your wants/needs is to head into an AT&T corporate store and take the time to go through all these questions with them.

15. Enlite thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my problem with that, is that I live in CA and my Parents live in Florida. They're the ones who are going to be doing all of this. So what I tried doing is doing enough research to supply to them so that when they go to the AT&T place, they can tell them what I've already learned.

16. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

$9.99 Second line
    $30.00 data plan
    $39.99 Total second line iPhone cost.

17. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

You can still get the information from an AT&T store in CA. The only difference will be the tax rates, which should be minimal.

As far as I am aware, the rate plans and add on feature charges don't vary by state or region (this used to happen years ago). So you can go into the your local AT&T corporate store, get all the pricing information, feature codes and specifics and then pass that on to your parents. In fact, there is nothing to stop you from getting the store in CA to help you out with talking to a store in FL. My local AT&T store has been very helpful with this.

Trust me, this is going to be the most reliable method to get the information you are seeking.