Is it now possible to use Migration Assistant to move over full email inboxes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Whackintosh, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

I'm about to upgrade from a 2008 15-inch unibody to a late 2013 13-inch rmbp. My usual method of moving a machine over is to go via a Time Machine restore, but my MBP has been buggy for quite some time now, and I'm concerned about potentially porting over a problem. So, Migration Assistant it shall be!

The last time I used Migration Assistant was around 2006 and back then, it didn't move over the content of inboxes. Is it now possible to do so?

Any input would be super appreciated. Thanks!

2. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I was able to yes Migration Assistant to move my Mail saved boxes about 4 months ago when I changed out my internal hard drive. Just make sure you have a great backup plan, just in case.

4. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

That's good to know. Is there a way to do it so that it simply ports over your functioning inboxes and settings into OSX Mail on the new machine, or will it only import the information as saved archives?

5. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I do several migrations every time there is a 'dot' change on the OS. Options are very broad. You can choose apps + documents + other and that's about it. Email comes over with the documents option, the only one I ever use (making it a semi clean install).

If you want to move over only email, better to copy just the email folder, old Library to new Library. This would leave behind the attachments launch folder but bring everything else.