Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
So you're telling me that you cut and paste all the recipients and start a NEW email string to accomplish what should be a simple reply to all? Not very professional as the trail is lost. And it is harder and requires multiple steps compared to Android or Microsoft. Why excuse it?

Lack of IPC between apps is a limitation and should be supported in any modern OS. OSX does it just fine and so does every other OS used in corporate environments.

Let me know when android is as widely accepted and leads the byod movement as iOS. We shut down our BES service 8 months ago and no one is asking for it to return.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I go through this daily, and send my work daily by simply emailing it as an attachment to the appropriate recipients. It really isn't that hard.

Keeping apps silo'ed is part of why iOS is corporate friendly without resorting to crappy apps like Good.

Keeping data siloed is really a crappy idea. It makes the phone app centric instead of data centric. What's most important is data. Letting apps dictate how you consume data is really stupid and archaic.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Let me know when android is as widely accepted and leads the byod movement as iOS. We shut down our BES service 8 months ago and no one is asking for it to return.
Yes....RIM is losing market share left and right. But what does a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) have to do with Android?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yes....RIM is losing market share left and right. But what does a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) have to do with Android?

The grand capabilities of BlackBerry were touted as something to iOS's detriment.

Clearly there is more to mobile wars than anyone one or two features. So trying to make any proclamations based on any one feature is silly.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
The grand capabilities of BlackBerry were touted as something to iOS's detriment.

Clearly there is more to mobile wars than anyone one or two features. So trying to make any proclamations based on any one feature is silly.

I mentioned BlackBerry and Microsoft in addition to Android to make the point that all three can easily do something simple that iOS can't.

Your point was irrelevant. BlackBerry is in decline but that doesn't change the point I was making.

Android is also booming in corporate environments as more are realizing how limiting iOS is. BYOD works for all devices, not just Apple devices.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
http://gizmodo.com/report-apples-next-iphone-coming-september-10th-1095267379/1095586014

Can Apple tackle Google with new 2013 iPhone?

Apple fans are squeaking with unbridled emotion after learning about the next iPhone's announcement date: September 10—two days earlier than last year. Will Apple's new toys be enough to stop the company's steady decline in sales and market share?

In terms of absolute numbers and perception, Android phones are winning the battle right now. The quality gap with Apple has disappeared and Google's operating system includes many great features that the iPhone doesn't have. The new Moto X—made by Motorola, now owned by Google—is getting raving reviews. Other phones made by Samsung and HTC are equally as good. The South Korean megacorporation seems to be winning the sales and market share battle—and showing no signs of slowing down.

Meanwhile, the new iPhone could be more of the same: Made of metal, plastic and glass, running these things called apps that you buy in a store without walls and come to you flying over the air. There are no new awesome features in the horizon, no clear and definitive advantage for the consumer. After all, all good smartphones are now more or less the same.

This time, rumorologists say, the new iPhone will come in colors, something that people can get already with Android phones like the Moto X, which can even be custom ordered in wood. The new iPhone may have a technology that will use your fingerprints to give you access to your phone instead of using a password—something that doesn't seem like a killer feature. And iOS 7, the new version of Apple's operating system, will have a revamped interface with new icons but the progress in functionality is not really significant.

While it is clear that Apple is in excellent financial shape and the loyalists will snatch the new phones like hungry zombies, the Cupertino company will have a very hard time convincing the rest of the world that their new phones offer any significant advantage over the more affordable competition.

This is more or less what I said in my post. Again, Apple is far from "doombed" but this is a crucial year for them and the iPhone -- I get the feeling.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

But you stayed off topic......we were talking about Android and you threw in BES???? Rim is not even in the picture as far as market share is concerned.
TBH....a BES can manage a BB better than you can presently mange an IOS device. On a BES server. You can erase and wipe, remote lock a device.....reset a PIN, deacativate/recactivate and reassign it another person. Then BES integrates with Exchange and Active Directory in ways IOS management cannot do. I don't think you can do those things for IOS yet in one simple interface.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
So you're telling me that you cut and paste all the recipients and start a NEW email string to accomplish what should be a simple reply to all? Not very professional as the trail is lost. And it is harder and requires multiple steps compared to Android or Microsoft. Why excuse it?

Lack of IPC between apps is a limitation and should be supported in any modern OS. OSX does it just fine and so does every other OS used in corporate environments.

Thank you! I've always said iOS/iPhones would be terrible for corporate. Trying to do serious work, even something as simple as typing out an important and lengthy email is a pain in the rear on an iOS device.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
But you stayed off topic......we were talking about Android and you threw in BES???? Rim is not even in the picture as far as market share is concerned.

Actually you in threw in BlackBerry based upon one feature.

It's one feature. A good one that I will use but hardly any big picture indication of iOS 7 not being good.

If we are nitpicking features to illustrate mobile OS superiority why does android have crappy lock screen Notifications? All those fancy widgets and this single piece of glance and go is omitted? For my own personal needs this it's far more valuable than sharing content as an attachment.

Each has its perks and while it may vex some iOS 7 does close the gap, but android skinned is more feature rich for sure.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
R

It's one feature. A good one that I will use but hardly any big picture indication of iOS 7 not being good.

If we are nitpicking features to illustrate mobile OS superiority why does android have crappy lock screen Notifications? All those fancy widgets and this single piece of glance and go is omitted? For my own personal needs this it's far more valuable than sharing content as an attachment.

Each has its perks and while it may vex some iOS 7 does close the gap, but android skinned is more feature rich for sure.

There are several apps that easily provide lock screen notifications and widgets too. There's no app that fixes the email attachment reply issue. That's because the OS is limited. Android doesn't have these limitations. If a feature doesn't exist, it can easily be created with Android.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
R

There are several apps that easily provide lock screen notifications and widgets too. There's no app that fixes the email attachment reply issue. That's because the OS is limited. Android doesn't have these limitations. If a feature doesn't exist, it can easily be created with Android.

And that's the REAL reason why open source is important. There's things that you can't even achieve with Jailbreak.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
And that's the REAL reason why open source is important. There's things that you can't even achieve with Jailbreak.

And this is why Android is winning. Just like democracy vs. a dictatorship. Freedom always wins.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

Pulling down the notification panel to view notifications when in lock screen is far better than having your personal info splashed across the screen visible to prying eyes.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Pulling down the notification panel to view notifications when in lock screen is far better than having your personal info splashed across the screen visible to prying eyes.

I prefer glance and go but there you have it. This is all preference. And arguing preferences is futile.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I prefer glance and go but there you have it. This is all preference. And arguing preferences is futile.

True. But then again the point is that it is still possible to do what you preferred in android. You can't say the same for iPhone if you don't like what is given to you.

Having choice and flexibility is always better than none.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
True. But then again the point is that it is still possible to do what you preferred in android. You can't say the same for iPhone if you don't like what is given to you.

Having choice and flexibility is always better than none.

I'll let you know in a few months after I've had time to get better acquainted with my GS4. Then I can determine if I properly agree or disagree.

I took 2 years off from android for numerous reason, but right now my GS4 is doing a good job of replacing my iPhone 5. I'll switch back and forth once iOS7 drops and determine which stays and which goes to fund either an iPhone 5S or Galaxy S5.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010

Don't even bother trying. All you will get in return is spin, excuses and references to some speech Steve Jobs gave years ago.

It bothers people here so much, because they know, it is simpler to hit Reply All and add attachment, but since Steve told them siloing apps so you end up with multiple versions of the same document that don't talk to each other is better, that is what they have to stick with (until of course it eventually does change and then it will be the greatest thing ever).

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

There you have it.....IOS7 is rumored to have some features that Android has had for years. Like the ability to block callers....block texters......But since it hasn't been released yet....we don't know what the final version will be like.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
No - but what IS obvious is how idiotic threads like this are.

I didn't even read responses here and can already imagine how the conversation is going. Can you people quit doing this?

The iPhone 5S will offer some things other phones don't offer. For some, it will be a great smartphone. For others, it won't measure up.

Why is there anything wrong with this?

----------

Thank you! I've always said iOS/iPhones would be terrible for corporate. Trying to do serious work, even something as simple as typing out an important and lengthy email is a pain in the rear FOR ME on an iOS device.

Fixed for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.