Is it OK for a store to tell me this?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maclover001, Jan 22, 2009.

1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Okay, here's my story:

Yesterday, I walked into London Drugs (Canada's "Target") with the intention of buying a Logitech VX Revolution mouse to replace my current Mighty Mouse (The scroll ball slowly started dying, now it doesn't scroll AT ALL). I went to the mouse display to see if they sold it. For some reason, I thought that Logitech only had one mouse with the super-fast scroll-ball thing. I was wrong, there were several to choose from (VX Nano, etc).

I go to a demo model iMac to read online reviews on the VX Nano (Maybe i'd like it better?). Anyway, there I am on Google just trying to find out what people think of the thing, and this employee comes up to me and says "I'm sorry sir, I'm afraid I can't let you surf online". I tell him I'm just reading reviews for a mouse I want to buy. He replies with "I'm sorry, but these computers are not for internet surfing". I say "Not any of them? All I'm doing is Googling a mouse I want to buy". He says "Well you should have done that before you came". :rolleyes:

Why connect the friggen things to the internet if you can't even use them?

Anyway, I pull out my cell phone to ask my geek friend about the Revolution/Nano/Whatever. I told him what happened and he thought that it was just crazy. He advised me to get the "VX Revolution" (flagship), and pick it up at NCIX. I didn't want to buy anything at LD after that experience.

I go to NCIX and ask for the mouse. Walked out. Hooked it up, and I love it.

Do you think that it's a bit odd that you can't use demo model computers to read about a product you intended on buying?

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I can understand them not wanting people to "surf," but your explanation of what you were doing should have been enough to get him to leave you well enough alone.

3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

They don't set those computers up for people to surf the net. There's got to be some sort of fine print saying you can't. It's not like he was out of place, he just said "no".

4. Avaj macrumors member

I agree your reasoning should of been sufficient enough

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is perfectly fine for a store to say that to you. That said, I would have done exactly what you did and buy the mouse somewhere else.

6. slieu92 macrumors regular

I thought Canadians were nice. but back to that /\
    how old are you? and how old was the employee?

7. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I find weird they set up an internet connection. Then how can they expect people not to surf ?

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have the iPhone to remedy that :D

I'd have done the same as you did. Yes the store can say that, but doesn't mean you have to take it in the ass, either.

(And I'd have told you to get the VX Revolution too. Best. Mouse. Ever.

9. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Did you happen to catch the name of the sales drone?

Even if you didn't, shoot an e-mail to their customer service. At best, you get an apology and maybe some coupons. At worst, they tell you to fark off. :)

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can see why they don't want Tom Dick and Harry (was he with you?) going on the internet in stores, but the reasoning was sound. It's their loss in the end.

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

I think that it's just fine for a store to tell you that. It's their property and they can enforce whatever rules they want on it. It's not like they have to please you; if they don't, shop elsewhere.

12. maclover001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I am almost 17, and the employee appeared to be maybe 30?

13. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

It happens, and it makes sense. I agree, there's no sense in connecting them to the internet, but there you go.

*shrug*

I'd still sooner shop at London Drugs than Future Shop.

14. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

So why are they connected to the web then? Surely they could simply disconnect them from the network...

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm sorry, but I think any employee worth keeping around would apply a rule at their discretion, which means he should use his brain (i.e. common sense). Most of the time, the rule should apply. In this case, it really shouldn't, and the employee should use his own judgement.

Losing a customer in this manner, and in this economic climate, isn't good at all.

16. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

It's a store, not an internet café. Imagine you doing some illegal things on their ip-adress ...

17. Keebler macrumors 68030

wow.

I would have gotten a manage, re-visited the conversation with the employee so both the employee and the mgr know what's going on and then said, " and that is why I'm going to buy it from another store.".

18. snberk103 macrumors 603

I wonder if the employee had accidentally left himself logged into the system? I seem to recall that employees there had to log into the systems before they could check things on the 'net, which they have done for me in the past. That would mean that the systems are not usually at a customer's disposal to surf the 'net.

I've had good experiences with London Drugs, so I'm suprised at your experience.... but every chain has to have a drone. Which store were you at?

19. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I can't blame them for asking you not to use the internet. They probably get kids trying to use myspace and what not. When you told the guy you where googleing the mouse he should of said "No Problem, Take your time, If you have any questions that the internet can't answer, I'd be glad to help you."

20. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

As a Department Lead I have disabled internet access for my department's demo stations. I did this only because I have seen customers surfing to inappropriate sites. Also, my team has been abusing the internet when they should be working.

This is probably the best way to handle this situation. You have ensure that you are meeting the customer's expectations while letting them know you are available if they need any other assistance.

21. maclover001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Downtown Vancouver, on Davie street.