Is it ok if I...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by FatPuppy, Aug 9, 2013.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

If I charge my iphone 4:
    1 Below 10 percent?
    2 10 or above?
    3 20 or below?
    4 above 20 ?

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Yes, you can charge at anytime. Why wait for a certain %? You'll probably run it down every day anyway. ENJOY! :)

3. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

yes of course, won't cause any issues either way.

but it is recommended that you discharge the battery once a month, just charge until 100% and use the phone until the batteries flat.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

4. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Ok thanks everyone but I heard that if an iphone is below 20 and than charge it to 100, it's called full cycle and that I should do just one full cycle just once a month and my iphone is always running below 20, plus... I kinda hate that percentage near the little battery sign:D and I like to disable it

5. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Technically, it's recommended to try and keep rechargeable batteries above 50%, i.e., to charge the device when it's around 50% or 40%. This is because running the battery down to 0% all the time isn't good for battery health. That's what I've read, but it doesn't mean I follow it :p

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Although technically there are some situations that are more "desirable" than others as far as how often to charge or something like that, in practice, they don't make enough of a (noticeable) difference in use or lifetime for a mobile phone that it really doesn't matter (and would actually be more of a hassle to try to follow some "pattern" without really getting any real return for it anyway).

7. FatPuppy, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013

FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Charge when you need or want to (and for as long/short as you need or want to).

9. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Wow, that was a precise answer:p, thanks:D

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Ultimately, you are talking about getting three additional months out of a battery that only costs $70 to swap for new.

Battery University has detailed information to support the ideal being:

Do not charge above 80% and try to charge before you go below 20%.
    Discharge 100% to 0% then leave plugged in until 100% once a month.

11. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Thank you, this is the most useful answer, not that the ones above aren't, I googled "battery university" and they talk about batteries in general, are you sure that what you just said applies to iphones too? Or even ipads? I have one too, would be great to find something about it too.

12. BarryL macrumors 6502

Charge away dude!! At anytime for any reason.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

My information applies to anything with a LiIon battery and a power management chipset. iPads, iPhones and MacBooks.