Is it ok to delete compressed files (compressor files)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by musicfan8790, Jun 6, 2011.

1. musicfan8790 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've compressed some mp4 footage into apple prores format for final cut pro & I was wondering since I have compressed the file and it's changed from mp4 video to apple prores (.mov) footage is it ok to delete the compressed files (it looks like the compressor symbol). I hope this makes sense, I'm not really good at explaining things but hopefully you get the gist =)

It's just that I am trying to delete some files to add some more space on my hard drive, I didn't know if you needed to keep these compressed files in order to keep the .mov file working.

Thanks in advance.

2. simsaladimbamba

As you transcoded from a more compressed format (.mp4 using the H.264 codec) to a lesser compressed format (.mov with ProRes as codec), you can delete the original .mp4 files.
    If you saved the Compressor projects too, then you will have a very small file. You could use GET INFO to show you more details about the file.
    [​IMG]

Those files can be deleted too, if you don't want them, but they are very small, though they are worthless, if you deleted the .mp4 files anyway.
    Do you have an external HDD for the footage you transcoded to to store upon?

3. musicfan8790 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help =) & Yes I do have an External HD.