Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GustavPicora

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Hello, Im planning to put some more memory to my iMac 27 i7 mid (2010), I have found that some people has 6GB what says they have 3 modules, I hadn't been into this topic long time, but when I was at school, in Computers Architecture subject, I remember that it was better to have modules paired, 2,4,6 ... not impaired.

but right now im not sure.. :p.

Suggestions?.

Thx

Gustavo

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You can have 3x2GB. In the past, memory had to be installed in pairs but that's history, modern memory controller don't need paired RAM. Installing them in pairs will enable dual-channeling though but that's negligible in real world

GustavPicora

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
You can have 3x2GB. In the past, memory had to be installed in pairs but that's history, modern memory controller don't need paired RAM. Installing them in pairs will enable dual-channeling though but that's negligible in real world

Yep, I understand about the history thing when pairing. And about the dual channeling, thats what I had in my mind, if it's something I will see or notice.

G.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Shrug

I keep hearing you CAN do it but I also see anecdotal responses from users here running into freezes and problems by adding a single module.

What do I know? I added two fours to the original twin twos for a total of 12 gigs and haven't looked back.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I keep hearing you CAN do it but I also see anecdotal responses from users here running into freezes and problems by adding a single module.

What do I know? I added two fours to the original twin twos for a total of 12 gigs and haven't looked back.

According to Apple, it should work fine as long as the single module is installed into top memory slot meaning that both bottom slots are populated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.