Is it ok to have my 13 macbook pro connected all the time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andpgud, Jan 11, 2017.

1. andpgud macrumors newbie

Hello
    I just got a new 13 macbook pro w/o the touch pad
    Is it ok to have it connected and chargin all the time and whats the best way to maintain proper battery life for the future.

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Common question, why just yesterday was that last one.

The best way to maintain proper battery life is to use the device, if it needs a charge then charge it, if you're not near a power outlet then use the battery. It's really quite simple.

3. andpgud thread starter macrumors newbie

but when I am working at the desk its better to have it plugged in?

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Based on what I just said, what do you think? Ask yourself why it wouldn't be a good idea to keep it plugged in, what do you think would happen by leaving it plugged in?

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I completely agree.
    Use it on battery if you want to be portable.
    Plug it in to the charger when you don't need to be portable, or it simply needs to charge.
    Nothing too complicated here.

The charger, and the laptop, are designed to do what they do.
    The "best" plan is to allow the charger and battery to do their job. Try not to over-think on this.

6. andpgud thread starter macrumors newbie

Its just that on my old thinkpad when I charged it often the battery got worse

7. k2743 macrumors member

So what would you recommend? If able to plug in is it best to keep it plugged in if you can.

8. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

I recommend treating it like your iPhone. Do your work on it on battery and then charge it when it needs it and when you know you'll be away from a outlet or not able to charge it charge it ahead of time to 100 percent.

9. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

It's totally okay to have it connected. When the battery is full it just stops charging (as you mustn't overcharge a Li-ion battery, that would be very dangerous) and starts using the power outlet as a power source, like a desktop PC with no battery.

Some people say it's a good idea to "exercise" the battery once a month or so and let it discharge for example to 50%.

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Every 4 days or so, take it OFF the charger, and let it run down to, say, 75%.

Then plug it back in and recharge.

I think that should "exercise" the battery well enough...

11. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

I've heard that at least initially, with any rechargeable-battery operated device, one should charge it up to 100%, then use it on battery until it drains completely.

Ever so often(once ever few months) i let my devices use the entire battery before charging them back up.

12. CMoore515 macrumors member

I leave mine connected 99.999% of the time, and run it off battery a few times every couple months. Have had no issues.

13. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

It's not 'best' to do anything, it's a battery not a fine cheese. If you need the battery then use it, if you need charging then use it. Empirically these can have an effect on the battery, but the percentage is so low it is not something you would ever notice, and would likely replace the battery/laptop long before the expiration of the battery anyway.

So as I said, just use it.

The worst thing you can do is follow conspiracy advice such as draining it fully before recharging, or ensuring it's charged fully before using, or any other hocus stuff. But do not leave it on charge for several days whilst away (Not for the battery, just an obvious fire hazard). And try not to leave it without any charge for long periods of time. That's about it, simple.

14. k2743 macrumors member

So it WOULD be better to leave it plugged in where I can? Seeing as it wouldn't be using the battery. As I said I am a student so I would definitely be taking it off the charger enough to 'exercise' it.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2017 ---
    What's wrong with using the power outlet as the source?

15. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Okay, time for some real numbers. My Late 2013 13" is 2.5 years old. I'm a computer science student so this thing sees some heavy usage, lectures, many hours a day of coding and reading documents, plugged in, unplugged, I don't care. When I'm tired and want to code and compile and run an Enterprise Java application server in my bed, I just unplug and do it in my bed. Sometimes I just leave it plugged in for a week nonstop. Sometimes (during the holidays) I don't charge it for ten days. I absolutely don't care what the battery thinks about it.

After those 2.5 years it has 248 cycles on it and has 92% capacity.

What I don't recommend: Don't waste battery cycles ( = don't avoid charging), don't deeply discharge for no reason. That's actually pretty damaging for a Li-ion battery.

16. Jaekae macrumors 6502

I had my 2012 macbook connected for 4 years almost all the time, and after 4 years it still had good battery life :)

17. SRTM macrumors regular

I usually plug it in, but unplug it while its asleep. It can get really got when it stays plugged in.

18. bizack macrumors 6502

This is incorrect. If asked 10 years ago, sure. Otherwise you're just wasting battery cycles when you could leave it plugged in. You should probably run the battery down about once a month, otherwise leave it plugged in when you can/is more convenient.

19. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Ey? How is leaving it plugged in wasting cycles, I'm confused. You said I was incorrect and then gave pretty much the same advice? Also anything involving deliberately running the battery down is wasting a cycle, so no, you probably shouldn't run it down once a month just for the sake of it.

20. bizack macrumors 6502

I meant that *not* having it plugged in when it could be, is wasting battery cycles. Also, all Lithium Ion batteries should be cycled about once a month.

21. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Um no. Cycling is not necessary. When using the machine, the battery is constantly being used anyway (the power supply charges the battery, and the battery powers the Mac).

The only hard rules I am aware of:
    - Don't overcharge (duh).
    - Don't deep discharge (sometimes it's not avoidable but try not to).
    - Long term storage should be at about 75% charge level.

In the end, I like what New_Mac_Smell stated earlier, not comparing the battery to a fine cheese. It's a consumable part. If it goes bad, then have it replaced.

22. Miltz macrumors 6502a

Don't unplug it unless you need to. If you use it plugged in all the time just unplug it once a month and let the battery drain. That's all. Obviously it's a laptop and is intended to be used as a mobile device, don't compromise that so you don't waste the battery.

23. richinaus macrumors 6502a

I have had a 15" plugged in nearly permanently for 3 years and is fine.

Nothing to stress about. Just use it as you need to.

24. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Sorry about the snarky replies, OP. They are correct, though. Modern laptop batteries are resistant to "memories", and can be discharged and charged often without any degradation in performance. That said, they do have a lifespan, and will eventually not be capable of holding the amount of charge that they did when new. Since leaving the laptop plugged into a charger doesn't degrade the battery's performance, if you do that long-term (keep it plugged in at your desk most of the time, and use it unplugged when you move around) it may result in an overall longer lifespan for the battery. I'd imagine, though, that this would only make any significant difference over the course of many years. If you replace the laptop in under, say, 5-7 years, you probably wouldn't notice any difference no matter how you use it.
    Thus, everyone who's said, "Just use it however it's convenient and don't worry about it" is correct.

25. Salaryman Ryan macrumors member

Salaryman Ryan

I agree with the others, don't worry about battery too much. Treat the battery as a consumable. Just use it as needed until you need to replace it.