Is It OK to Just Leave the Keyboard Illumination on?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tolive, Jul 31, 2009.

1. tolive macrumors member

Just got a new mid-09 uMBP 15", I don't think that the ambient light sensor is put at a right place - now, with the ambient light sensor put next to the web cam, the keyboard illuminates as long as the ambient light sensor is not DIRECTLY towards light source. :confused:

Is it OK to just leave the keyboard illumination on? what's its lift span? If it's the same as the LED backlight, then I don't care if the keyboard illumination is on or not.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You don't have to worry about the keyboard lighting going out. I haven't ever heard of anyone having the light fail. Something else will render your machine useless long before the backlight fails.

3. tolive thread starter macrumors member

Great, thanks!
    Then I guess I'll download Lab Tick and simply turn the backlight on permanently.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Just have it automatically turn off the backlight when it is bright out to save battery.

5. Snowbound macrumors regular

Yeah, I'd just leave it on the default settings... doesn't seem to be a good reason to change it and having it always on can only hurt battery life.

6. pprior macrumors 65816

How do you set this option?

7. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard "Illuminate keyboard in low light....."

:)

8. tolive thread starter macrumors member

The reason I posted this thread was that, the new mid-09 uMBP thinks my bright living room as "low light" unless it can see the Sun directly...;)

9. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

When I had my MBP with backlit-keys, I always left it on because it just looks so cool. I say leave it on. :D