Is it OK to keep cloth on track pad when closed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacDoodle77, Oct 25, 2010.

1. MacDoodle77 macrumors newbie

So I have a friend with a MBP that puts the wiping cloth that came with the computer over the track pad and keyboard before he closes the screen.

I just got my first MBP and starting doing this myself, but not over the keys just folded over the track pad. I do this because easy storage of the wipe...I guess.

Anyways, will this cause screen damage, overheating, or anything else that I should know about?

Thanks

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

3. applepearpp macrumors regular

i don't understand the point of doing that but I am not going to argue.

for me, I just close it whenever. as long as your hand is clean, there shouldn't be a problem. also, the trackpad is a big piece of glass which makes it easy to clean.

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I bought a Turcano sleeve for my prior MBP and it comes with a fibercloth to cover the keyborad. I still use it with my new MBP but I'm not really sure it does anything. I see no harm in covering the touchpad, but again I don't see the necessity.

5. Ksb-online macrumors regular

Your meant to put it on top of the keys to stop them from touching the screen as the keys can leave marks on the screen after some use.

I think they touch when the laptop is in your bag and if there is any pressure applied from the outside ... ??

6. MacDoodle77 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I put down an...iSkin for example over the keys and then put the cloth over the keys to keep them from marking up the screen would that be helpful as well from keeping the keys from marking up the screen?

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yes, that will be fine.

8. Alexjones macrumors 6502

I keep the Keyboard protector and the insert that came with the computer between the display. Works nicely.