Is it Ok to keep you Mackbook pro on all the time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snook911, Sep 19, 2012.

1. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I tend to keep my macbook pro on all the time. I got it about a month ago and I very rarely shut it off. Anyone else do this and by doing this will it shorten its life or is it bad for it in any way. Thanks.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Mines all almost all the time. Mostly plugged as well. I wouldn't be worried.

3. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Yep. Completely safe. These are built as high-performance machines, designed to be used for whatever you want (computer stuff, obviously!).

Everything wears out eventually, but the chances are that it'll last you at least until you feel it's time to upgrade anyway (several years, potentially).

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have mine on quite a bit, when I know I'll not use it, i.e., going to bed, I'll put it to sleep

5. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

My macbook pro late 2008 almost never shut down, except maintenance updates. And when i sold the mbp last year the only
    thing that I change was the battery. The battery got slightly swollen, but I guess thats because my mbp always plugged and only once a month I use on battery :cool:

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I only shut mine down once in a while, it's usually in use/sleep.

7. zipur macrumors 6502

MBP should not be left plugged in!

No you should not leave it plugged in. For two reasons,
    1) the battery needs to be exercised, leaving it plugged in all the time will reduce the battery life efficiency.
    2) Electric brown outs or Lightning could cause a surge and zap a component. I know; someone will disagree but think about it, how important is your MBP to ya.

8. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

He didn't say anything about keeping it plugged in all the time

9. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

You can leave it plugged in for a considerably large amount of time, you should just let it discharge once in a while. Leaving it plugged in will not reduce the battery's health.

10. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick reponses everyone!!

No, I dont leave it plugged in all the time. In fact I rarley actually use it while its plugged in. I use the thing so much that I the battery goes to about 20% everyday. last night I got home at 4:00pm and took it off the charger 100% by the time I went to bed at 12:00am its was at about 10%. There was alot of use time in the 8 hours though plus I keep the screen on full brightness and don't put it to sleep while I am using it so I know that will shortern the battery life.

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Mine is plugged in and running when I am home. It auto sleeps at midnight. I if am using it later than that I let it to sleep before leaving the room. Once a week I restart it. My old desktops used to heat the room. I can not even tell the rMBP is in the room.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Yes and that really applies to any computer out there. Nothing that makes it different with the MBP.