Is it OK to leave an external drive always on?

hatuko

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Espoo, Finland
I'm using TimeCapsule with TimeMachine for backups of the system, but I am now also using a Seagate 2TB drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure for additional backups with CrashPlan so to be safe.

Is it OK to leave it always on? I have configured CrashPlan to do realtime backups so this wouldn't work if I had to turn the drive on and off.

Thanks in advance

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The drive should spin down when it's not in use, so it shouldn't be a problem. I've left mine running for months at a time :)

Edit: Misread. I'm not familiar with CrashPlan; if it's truly realtime then it might stress the drive (compared with Time Machine which only uses it every hour) but I can't imagine that it'd be any worse than the "source" drive inside your system.

hatuko

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Espoo, Finland
The drive should spin down when it's not in use, so it shouldn't be a problem. I've left mine running for months at a time
Great, thanks! I guess I don't need to be too worried then :)

I'm not familiar with CrashPlan; if it's truly realtime then it might stress the drive (compared with Time Machine which only uses it every hour) but I can't imagine that it'd be any worse than the "source" drive inside your system
It's not exactly realtime, but it's configured to backup every minute the changes/new files/etc

Ray2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Mine (11 tb) haven't been powered off for years. One ATA drive is circa 2000 and is my dedicated download/upload drive. Just never dies. They spin down but always powered. Keep the power supplies in a well ventilated area, they are the weakest link. Mine are not and they live in Florida, I go through at least one a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.