Is it OK to leave an external drive always on?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hatuko, Sep 29, 2014.

1. hatuko macrumors member

hatuko

I'm using TimeCapsule with TimeMachine for backups of the system, but I am now also using a Seagate 2TB drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure for additional backups with CrashPlan so to be safe.

Is it OK to leave it always on? I have configured CrashPlan to do realtime backups so this wouldn't work if I had to turn the drive on and off.

Thanks in advance

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The drive should spin down when it's not in use, so it shouldn't be a problem. I've left mine running for months at a time :)

Edit: Misread. I'm not familiar with CrashPlan; if it's truly realtime then it might stress the drive (compared with Time Machine which only uses it every hour) but I can't imagine that it'd be any worse than the "source" drive inside your system.

3. hatuko thread starter macrumors member

hatuko

Great, thanks! I guess I don't need to be too worried then :)

It's not exactly realtime, but it's configured to backup every minute the changes/new files/etc

4. Liberty. macrumors 6502

Depends on your external drive. Just stay close to it and turn your Mac off. You should hear it spinning down (or not).

5. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

Mine (11 tb) haven't been powered off for years. One ATA drive is circa 2000 and is my dedicated download/upload drive. Just never dies. They spin down but always powered. Keep the power supplies in a well ventilated area, they are the weakest link. Mine are not and they live in Florida, I go through at least one a year.

6. hatuko thread starter macrumors member

hatuko

Is this temperature OK if I leave it on 24/7? It's lower than the max so it should be OK?

[​IMG]

7. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

I think keeping the external on is better than plugging and unplugging it. Temps seem normal

8. hatuko thread starter macrumors member

hatuko

9. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

my ext USB 3.0 HDD is plugged and on for 24/7, no problem so far.