Is it ok to leave an external hard drive on 24/7?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Our one Lacie external drive connected to our little server is left on 24/7/365... probably two years running now.

~J~

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
I have a Seagate external that is connected to my AEBS that hasnt been turned off in over 2 months. Never had any issues with it overheating... even when my A/C died for 9 hours in the heat of a Texas day. It has a lot to do with the enclosure though, my Seagate stands upright and is in an aluminum casing, those two factors no doubt help.

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
I have a Seagate external that is connected to my AEBS that hasnt been turned off in over 2 months. Never had any issues with it overheating... even when my A/C died for 9 hours in the heat of a Texas day. It has a lot to do with the enclosure though, my Seagate stands upright and is in an aluminum casing, those two factors no doubt help.
Same as mine and the same answer. No problems at all.

And at work we have high end servers with the drives spinning all the time. They last a couple of years at least and it's hot in that server cabinet!

BennyK

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Appleton, WI
I have two HD's on 24/7 and I was worried about the same thing at first. I kept feeling them to make sure they werent two warm, but they never were warm and I never had a problem.

ghking

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
well mine definitely gets really warm, but i was just making sure it wouldnt be bad for it.