Is it ok to leave it on all day?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by damonbus, Nov 18, 2016.

1. damonbus macrumors regular

damonbus

My question is I plan on taking this to the office everyday. It will be on for at least 8 hours straight while I work. Is this ok for the machine?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

No, modern computers are designed to be looked at and not used, checking email is okay but you shouldn't use it for more than 5 minutes at a time.

3. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I would still consider your question seriously unlike others, but make it a point to restart once in a while like ince or twice in a week. Rest should be fine !

4. damonbus thread starter macrumors regular

damonbus

That's sort of what my question was, I just worded it wrong. Thanks.

5. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Absolutely. It's a tool designed to be used.

6. altaic macrumors member

Lol. Seriously, leave it on for months (of course, let it go to sleep when you're not using it). Geez, ppl, don't mess with the guy.

7. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I think the reason for the sarcasm is that we see this same exact question every few months and it can grow tiresome to see it so often.

Anyway, good luck with your new machine and most of all, enjoy it!

8. leman macrumors 604

Its a really weird question. But anyway, when there were some issues with our supercomputer, I used to run heavy-duty compute jobs on the rMBP, sometimes for two-three days straight. Never had any issue, and the computer is still running fine.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Contrary to your closed mind,. there are people on this forum who are new Mac owners, or have very little computer experience. Replies like yours are not funny nor are they helpful. Think about that the next time you want to post a pious, snide remark.

10. damonbus thread starter macrumors regular

damonbus

But is it a good idea to restart it once in a while?

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Yes. Once a week or even once a month is fine.

12. damonbus thread starter macrumors regular

damonbus

Thanks, it's a learning curve coming from windows but I will teach myself this weekend.

13. leman macrumors 604

I basically don't ever restart my Macs, and I'm fine. You should of course restart if you are noticing problems.

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Actually I thought his reply was super funny and I very much appreciated it. The OP is still getting the answers he/she needs and I'm glad he's here to learn more. Glad to help him with anything he needs.

I actually find your post to be closed-minded and scolding. Lighten up and learn to enjoy yourself around here. It makes for a better day.

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You don't need to restart the Mac as often as you do a Windows machine.

This forum is a great learning tool. Before you know it, you will have learned so much and feel much more at ease with your Mac.

16. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

Only necessary if you experience a problem. You shouldn't see any slowing down over time or anything like that on a Mac. OSX memory management seems to be on point, unlike Windows.

17. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Who was saying anything pious? I was being serious, although was simplifying.

You shouldn't leave your computer on all day because whilst in use, your computer learns things about you and sends this back to a bigger computer. Eventually, if you leave it on long enough, you'll start to see things like adverts that use your name and stuff. It starts innocent, but I saw a documentary one day from James Cameron where this bigger computer used all that information to create a robot in order to hunt someone down. Was super scary, and leaving your computer on all day will only contribute to this. #MakeAmericaGreat