Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I've been having some issues. I think ever since I upgraded an OS. Maybe Yosemite initially, or the one before. One of my apps doesn't work and the Mac Pro doesn't shutdown or restart. I'm on 10.10.5. Is there any problem reinstalling Yosemite from the Apple Store on top of Yosemite?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
You can't download Yosemite from the App Store anymore I don't believe.

And yes, you can install Yosemite over Yosemite ... as long as you are just running the normal installer it will install over the Operating System, but leave your files and everything intact. I would do a backup beforehand though just in case the installation goes bad.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I can still download purchases from the store. Thanks. I thought so. I just downloaded it for my other MP that was still on SL.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Done. Reinstalled OS. Problem solved!

If you got Yosemite from the Apple Store look in your purchase history. It'll be there and you can reinstall.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It’s indeed not a problem. As long as the downloaded version is still the same or newer. However, it would have been fine to reinstall OS X from recovery as well (it will reinstall just the base system).

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Yeah I just looked in my purchase history and Yosemite is still there. Glad it worked out for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.