Is it OK to run your fans hard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zedjay72, Jul 21, 2009.

1. zedjay72 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I just got a new MBP and in an attempt to not overheat the processors when playing games i usually turn the fan speed up to around 5.5k rpm. They do a great job of keeping the processor at a decent level (~70 degrees Celsius) but i wonder if I'm doing the fans any harm. I do play for quite a long time (3 to 4 hours sometimes) and I have noticed a *very* slight humming from the fans which i reckon is wear and tear.

Should I be worried?

Thanks!
    Zak

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Fans are made to run 24/7 so they wont hurt them and if they do, they can be replaced for cheap.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Nope. Running your GPU/CPU at higher temperatures and voltages would slightly decrease their lifespan, but as long as you operate within the temperature thresholds (very high, if you hit it your computer will shut off) and don't change the voltages, you're all set. Fans are meant to run at high speeds, so you aren't ruining those either :)

4. darkdream macrumors member

fans are made to run 24/7 for like an expected life of at least 40,000-50,000 hours or so

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

fans cost $5..probably the cheapest thing in your computer. Your CPU/GPU, etc on the other hand cost hundreds.

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

i usually run the fan at 4k rpm while plugged in to AC (95%) of the time

my theory is ware out your fan instead of cpu/gpu

7. zedjay72 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

I also second the idea of putting the load on the fans to benefit running the cpu/gpu harder.

Fans are REAL cheap.

9. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

As basically everyone else has said, your fans are made to run, and if you need a replacement, it will be cheap.

10. Jottle macrumors 6502

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You are causing the fans harm, but only in the sense that you are using them and therefore causing wear and tear on the fan bearings. It's nothing to be concerned about. However, I hear people use the term "overheating" more and more on these forums, and frankly, you have nothing to worry about in that department. The thermal threshold for the components in your notebook is very high, and will not be reached under normal operating conditions, including gaming. You would have to cover the rear vents, have the fans' efficiency impeded by dust, or simply be using the computer in an area outside the normal operating conditions in order for you to overheat the computer. Otherwise, it's not overheating; rather, it's just at a high part of its thermal-spec.