Is it ok to sell old iPhone 4 with SIM still in it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by falconman515, Oct 14, 2011.

1. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I just got my iPhone 4S and my older 4 has already been sold and I need to ship it.

I know that you can use a paper clip etc to get the SIM card slot open..... BUT ..... I CAN'T!!!

I have tried it all and for some odd friggin reason it will not open up.

Question: Do I really need to take my old SIM out? It doesn't have any of my numbers on it anything I dont think.

Is there a security risk in leaving this in there and sending it to another party?

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I need to know this too so I'll just bump this.

3. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Yes. The SIM doesn't store your data - just the carrier's. I sold my last 2 iPhones intact and whenever you get a new one, it already has a SIM and activates when you sync (and activate) it for the first time.

- Be sure to Erase All Content & Settings in general preferences, however...

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You need a smaller paperclip. You could also cut the point off of a straight pin and use that. It should open easily with the right tool. :)

5. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Well... I would make sure that you CAN eject the SIM before you sell it (especially on eBay). Don't wanna sell the other person a phone with a SIM tray that is faulty and won't eject.

But then... after that... I would send it with the old SIM in. Why?

I recently had a situation where the seller wanted to use it as an iPod and not have phone service. The old SIM card will allow iTunes to "activate" the phone and get into the OS. The SIM will not give them access to your account or be able to make calls. The only thing the person might be able to see is your phone number that USED to be tied to that SIM.

6. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I'm sure it will but I just dont have the right size tool to be able to get it out.

It has never been open and I dont know if a SIM slot can really be faulty.... I just think its a bit tight and snug and the small size slips and little I have are either to small or too big.... I think i need something that fits in there real tight to get it open.

But it seems like its ok to sell with SIM card in it so I wont worry about it.