Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I use Yahoo mail, and I was wonderin' if it's ok to stay logged in on my computer. I'm the only one that uses it, so would it be of any security risks? My brother said I should log out each time, but I don't see the point.

Inform me MR

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
As long as you're confident that no one will mess your account while you're away from your computer, it's fine to stay logged in.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Yea that's what I thought too. I don't know why I sign in and out. I check my email a lot too. Thanks guys.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
SamIchi said:
Yea that's what I thought too. I don't know why I sign in and out. I check my email a lot too. Thanks guys.

Do you have Yahoo Mail Plus it's only $19.99/Year, and you get 2GB of storage, and POP accsee, so you can use Apple's Mail program to check your email. It's much easier to just open mail every 30min or so and check for new messeges, or if you leave it open it will alert you everytime you recieve a new message.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
todd2000 said:
Do you have Yahoo Mail Plus it's only $19.99/Year, and you get 2GB of storage, and POP accsee, so you can use Apple's Mail program to check your email. It's much easier to just open mail every 30min or so and check for new messeges, or if you leave it open it will alert you everytime you recieve a new message.

Nah, that's ok, I don't need the space and email alerts. I just like to check my mail a lot. I don't even get anything important.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I'm probably missing something here, but I have a free Yahoo mail account and I get my mail forwarded to Mail just like usual mail.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I have MSN Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger, and it allows me to stay logged on and lets me know when I get new email the second it hits, and its all free. This is on my PC of course though.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
MrSmith said:
I'm probably missing something here, but I have a free Yahoo mail account and I get my mail forwarded to Mail just like usual mail.
The point I was making is that with a Yahoo a/c you don't need to open your browser and sign in with your username and password each time you want to check your mail. You can use Mail that comes with OSX. You can get Yahoo to automatically forward mail to your POP a/c.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I just use Gmail, which gives me all of that for free. :confused:

And I don't believe I sign out of anything, not even banking websites. When I'm done with my bank account, I just close the tab or the Firefox window. I never log out.

I also never log out of MacRumours, as you can see. :eek:

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
MrSmith said:
The point I was making is that with a Yahoo a/c you don't need to open your browser and sign in with your username and password each time you want to check your mail. You can use Mail that comes with OSX. You can get Yahoo to automatically forward mail to your POP a/c.
You have to have Yahoo plus to do that. I just checked.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Another point to consider is whether you are comfortable having your system connected to the outside all of the time. For many, it does not matter. I have a good firewall appliance, and some special configurations, to keep hackers out. But, as a last line of defense, I also shut my router down when I am not using it. I also have my firewall open in the background when I am connected. It lets me see any foreign connection attempts.

This may seem a bit 'overboard', even bordering on paranoia. But, if someone can get into my system, they can gain access to my company's computers. So, if security is not an issue for you, then remaining on-line is no more than a personal preference. On the other hand, if you need to be security aware, then make sure you have precautions set in place.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
SMM said:
Another point to consider is whether you are comfortable having your system connected to the outside all of the time. For many, it does not matter. I have a good firewall appliance, and some special configurations, to keep hackers out. But, as a last line of defense, I also shut my router down when I am not using it. I also have my firewall open in the background when I am connected. It lets me see any foreign connection attempts.

This may seem a bit 'overboard', even bordering on paranoia. But, if someone can get into my system, they can gain access to my company's computers. So, if security is not an issue for you, then remaining on-line is no more than a personal preference. On the other hand, if you need to be security aware, then make sure you have precautions set in place.

He's on a Mac he doesn't need to be so paranoid :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.