Is it OK to Trash These Applications I'll Never Use?

grinc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
There's some software that came with my new 27" iMac that I will never use because I have other software I prefer... so to clean up the Applications folder and get rid of the clutter, I'd like to just drag them to the Trash... but since they came with the system, they ask for the admin password beforehand - so I wanted to check with the experts first :)

Can these apps be trashed safely?

Garage Band
iChat
iPhoto
iTunes
iWeb
Mail (I use Thunderbird)
Photo Booth
Safari (I use Firefox)
Stickies

...or could I just move them somewhere else? The real goal here is just to free up the space inside the Applications folder so I'm not looking at a bunch of stuff I don't care about when I click it in the Dock.

grinc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Ok, fine, I am not against keeping them, but can I at least move them out of the root Apps folder or something?

Whiteman007

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2008
For the apps not in your dock i would use spotlight (cmd space) its much faster then looking for them in your app stack. i used to have an app stack but once i got used to OS X and spotlight i got rid of it.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
If you do choose to delete, use an uninstaller like AppCleaner, though. GarageBand eats up a substantial portion of your hard disk with auxiliary files; a few others on that list might as well. AppCleaner should find all its files.

BTW, AppCleaner might bark when you try to delete some of these apps. Uncheck the "Protect Default Apps" preference.

mt

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
They won't go away! Sure, you can delete them. Buy everything on that list will be on your new OS disc when you upgrade next time.