Is it OK to Trash These Applications I'll Never Use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by grinc, Nov 19, 2009.

1. grinc macrumors newbie

There's some software that came with my new 27" iMac that I will never use because I have other software I prefer... so to clean up the Applications folder and get rid of the clutter, I'd like to just drag them to the Trash... but since they came with the system, they ask for the admin password beforehand - so I wanted to check with the experts first :)

Can these apps be trashed safely?

Garage Band
    iChat
    iPhoto
    iTunes
    iWeb
    Mail (I use Thunderbird)
    Photo Booth
    Safari (I use Firefox)
    Stickies

...or could I just move them somewhere else? The real goal here is just to free up the space inside the Applications folder so I'm not looking at a bunch of stuff I don't care about when I click it in the Dock.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd keep a back-up, you never know when you might want to use one of them.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I have one piece of advice. Never say never. You might need them in the future.

4. grinc thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, fine, I am not against keeping them, but can I at least move them out of the root Apps folder or something?

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Move them wherever you want. To the deepest darkest part of your HD, where you'll never see them. ;)

6. Whiteman007 macrumors member

For the apps not in your dock i would use spotlight (cmd space) its much faster then looking for them in your app stack. i used to have an app stack but once i got used to OS X and spotlight i got rid of it.

7. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

If you do choose to delete, use an uninstaller like AppCleaner, though. GarageBand eats up a substantial portion of your hard disk with auxiliary files; a few others on that list might as well. AppCleaner should find all its files.

BTW, AppCleaner might bark when you try to delete some of these apps. Uncheck the "Protect Default Apps" preference.

mt

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

They won't go away! Sure, you can delete them. Buy everything on that list will be on your new OS disc when you upgrade next time.