Is it ok to update my iPhone 4 to iOS5 or wait?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iMoo, Oct 19, 2011.

1. iMoo macrumors regular

iMoo

I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 4 that is factory unlocked as i bought it sim-free. It's currently on 4.3.3

I have backed up my SHSH blobs using Tiny Umberella and also Cydia is displaying them.

I am getting itchy fingers with the iOS 5 after watching the presentation :eek: , so wondered, because mine is factory unlocked, if i were to update my iPhone to iOS 5 (obviously would get rid of any jailbroken stuff and tweaks) would i be alright once an untethered jailbreak comes out, or do i still need to wait??

Please don't flame me :mad: as i have tried finding the info myself, but along with fake sites, most is geared towards people preserving basebands and im guessing this is for people using different sim-cards to what the phone is locked to!?

So would i be ok to have a go with iOS 5 and be fine to jailbreak later
    OR
    If i update now, there may be a process i miss out on that will be no longer available to me by updating the firmware/baseband.

Thanks in advance and hope someone with better knowledge can shed light on this and can see if i can update tonight and have a play with new features, thanks and peace

(p.s. sorry i put this in wrong section at first and don't know how to delete the first one)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can update to 5.0 with no probs.
    Obviously you will lose your JB but when there is an untethered JB down the road you can always JB again.
    Or if you dont like 5.0 you can always go back down to 4.3.3 since you have blobs available.
    Up to you.

3. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

iMoo

Ahh that's great then, will keep my ipad at 4.3.3 as there are games and other tweaks i don't want to lose just yet, but in regards to the iphone the games are more redundant and have bought the ones i liked anyhow. Only the tweeks and the satnav i will miss, but can always go tethered if am really in need of satnav.

Thanks for quick reply mate as sometimes these posts which seem to be repeats get ignored and lost....i have spent a few hours goggling around but like i said most seem to have got phones on contract so need to preserve their basebands

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I thought you couldn't downgrade when you're on 5.0. :confused:

5. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

iMoo

Ohhhh :cool: Well 'Sync in Progress' now, so all or nothing i suppose.
    My 4.3.3 seemed to be slowing down and occasional freezing anyhow so maybe going fresh might sort that out...tbh i had loads of apps i prob barely touched, but thought i'd always need. So a clear out.

Hopefully be smooth running... <crosses fingers>

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If u got blobs u can at any time.

7. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

you can if you have the SHSH blobs, i downgraded last week

8. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

iMoo

Cool, getting the 3194 error..knew it wouldn't be straight forward, ahh well keeps me busy..... "google...i have a question.." lol

9. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

not sure off the top of my head, just check your hosts file isn't blocking the update:
    Download tiny umbrella and uncheck 'set cydia hosts on exit'

or go to /private/etc and edit the hosts file. Either add a # before the apple IP/address or edit it out. should work then.

10. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Oh ok. I just did a quick google search and it clarified it for me.

There's no downgrading to another iOS 5 version.

11. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

there's only 1 version of iOS5? Or do you mean iOS4

12. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Meaning in the future. If you upgrade to 5.1, you can't go back to 5.0.

Blobs no longer work for 5.X.X.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, like for example from 5.1 to go down to 5.0
    But other methods are in the works to work around those limitations so lets hope we will have more options in the future.

14. iMoo thread starter macrumors regular

iMoo

Yeah just seen youtube vid n done it with tiny umbrella....restore or update, hmmmmm, think i will update, dont wana have to putt all my data n settings back in. Am guessing update handles alot better than previous versions.....wow been on 4.3.3 so long forgot all the Do's n Dont's :)

15. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

16. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

How do you save your blobs or does cydia do that for you

17. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

Nah I'm not updating. For me there isn't any reason to. Phone is running good now and no issues with my apps or tweaks.

----------

Cydia has mine. But also backed them up with iSHSHit