Is it OK to update my Win 8 to 8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MaxwellEdison, Nov 10, 2013.

1. MaxwellEdison macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 2011 running Mavericks and Windows 8 Pro. Both run fine.

I noticed the 8.1 update in the Windows store. Is it safe to run it, will all the Apple drivers that work in 8 ork in 8.1?

I ask only because everywhere I Google the discussion always seems to center on INSTALLING 8.1 in the first place; as I said, I installed 8 a while back using one of those "system builder" DVDs Microsoft sells. It's legal, activated, and runs perfectly.

So I just need to know if anyone in a similar position installed the 8.1 update successfully.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

You'll be fine, it'll work with the Apple drivers seamlessly.

3. MaxwellEdison thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. The download won't complete, though. I get this bogus error from the Windows Store:

something happened and the install of windows 8.1 couldn't be completed

very helpful.

4. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

Given that you have an OEM version of Win 8, going through Windows Store is currently the only option to upgrade to 8.1,and you need to install all the latest Windows updates before it could be successfully downloaded and installed as indicated in this link.

5. MaxwellEdison thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it turned out there were 5-6 updates that were queued. I forced the update to happen now and after the updates then 8.1 update took. Thanks.