Is it ok to upgrade to Mavericks now?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Aug 14, 2014.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, few months ago, people working at Genius Bar suggested me not to upgrade from Snow Leopard because there were still issues and problems with Mavericks. Is it safe to upgrade now?

2. simsaladimbamba

With what hardware? I have upgraded my 2009 MBP to OS X 10.9 Mavericks and it was a very bumpy ride with daily or hourly kernel panics. OS X 10.10 Yosemite was even more stable than that, but a bit slower in general.
    Now my 2009 MBP runs OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion quite fine.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

rMBP 15". 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB.

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm running it on a 15" 2010 MacBook Pro and I needed to get the logic board replaced after upgrading. 10.9 put extra stress on my GPU causing it to fail (GPU panics). It's a known issue with the MBP (stressing the GPU will eventually cause it to fail) so keep that in mind if you do decide to upgrade to 10.9 (it may cause problems or it may not). Do a search on 10.9 and GPU panics if you want more information.

Note - Some people also reported upgrading to 10.8 also caused the GPU panics.

5. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Do a backup and upgrade. Why not? My Mid-2009 MBP runs it just fine. Battery lasts longer, too.

6. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Ahh... How did you get Snow Leopard on that?

7. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Why you need to upgrade? there is nothing that will improve anything with an upgrade. Actually the things they messed up with Mavericks they fixed with the new system.

A company like Apple needs to release new OS from time to time, they have to, so basically they just move things around because there is nothing to improve any more except one thing here and there or some bugs.

But when Apple says "the new OS blah, blah, blah..." is just 1000% crap! is a lie! there is nothing new, they just moved things and changed the wall paper. Usually they made things worst by trying to "innovate".

Trust me, is 100% retarded but there are corporate reasons why they have to be retarded. Is like light bulbs, they could work for ever but they have a short live to produce new ones.

If your OS works, do not touch it. I have several Mac and I upgraded to Mavericks to the ones I have for that.... to experiment. I saw no improvements and the rest of the machines are fine as they are. I am using Snow Leopard in most of them and Lion.

8. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

They told you not to run Mavericks on that? :rolleyes:

Mavericks has had four updates and has been around long enough that it will even be superseded in a few months. There are always outliers, but all in all, I don't think most people have had "issues" or "problems" related strictly to the OS. It runs spectacularly on my MBP (which is much older than yours) and on a 2013 MBA in the house as well.

There weren't a whole lot of sensational improvements in Mavericks, but to say it is risky or problematic to upgrade at this point is kinda silly.

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Seems highly unlikely an Apple employee would tell you to not upgrade. Something fishy here!

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Agree--and Snow Leopard on a rMPB--hmmm. :confused:

11. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

mavericks 10.9.4 runs great on my mbp 2010 system :cool: