Is it ok to use the classic buckle on an apple watch sport?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by eifer, May 19, 2015.

1. eifer macrumors regular

Or does the steel/aluminum connection cause a problem?

2. johnnyapples33d macrumors member

The problem is the metal finish wouldn't match. Otherwise, no other problems.

3. floridonet macrumors regular

are you near a store? if so, schedule a fitting and have them swap bands and show you what it looks like. the bands fit ... it's just a matter of preference.

4. venom600 macrumors 6502a

I think he's asking more if the contact of steel on aluminum will cause corrosion problems since they are dissimilar metals.

5. doeboynmek macrumors member

6. jediuia macrumors regular

Its totally against the apple TOS to do that.

JK, other than the color contrast sure why not?

7. doeboynmek macrumors member

Again, cause of corrosion.

8. jediuia macrumors regular

wouldn't that only happen with moisture? Taking a shower etc.. I wouldn't work out with it I guess...

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Galvanic corrosion is a possibility but given that the aluminum is anodized -- that should reduce the likelihood.

10. Petey-ed macrumors 6502

I did some research on this. Corrosion can occur on plain aluminum when facing stainless steel, however there are a couple things to keep in mind:

- Your watch is made of anodized aluminum which has a greater resistance to corrosion
    - Both the band and the watch have a coating to protect both surfaces when facing each other
    - Water can accelerate the process, but not by a lot. Salt water seems to be the biggest catalyst
    - The research i did shows that this corrosion issue wouldn't start occurring for 8-10 years. I'm guessing you'll be upgrading before then :cool:

This article talks about how it started to corrode after 1000 hours of salt spray tests. I think the long story short is that keep it out of the ocean unless you have a sports band.

http://aluminumsurface.blogspot.com/2009/04/corrosion-between-anodized-aluminum-and.html

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

No, it won't. :rolleyes:

12. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I was gonna say, I thought the corrosion would only happen on steel, not stainless steel. I remember reading that stainless steel is a passive material.

Idk, I could be wrong.

13. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It's not even that. The aluminum is anodized, it's not like raw steal against aluminum. There's a barrier.

14. Petey-ed macrumors 6502

I'm using this exact combo on my 38mm AWS and it looks great, no issues. The band is really nice soft and probably is one of the nicest leather bands I've wore.

15. Nightrich macrumors regular

Nightrich

I spoke with Apple Support today about this. I have a 38mm SGS and asked about corrosion with the classic leather buckle and he explicitly told me that corrosion is something that would not only be covered in the one year warranty but also with my Apple Care. He also guaranteed that it would not happen. I understand the chemical process behind it and even if it somehow managed to corrode it would be covered. This alone alleviates my concern knowing that Apple would take care of it. I say go for it.