Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Or does the steel/aluminum connection cause a problem?

floridonet

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2011
Irvine, CA
are you near a store? if so, schedule a fitting and have them swap bands and show you what it looks like. the bands fit ... it's just a matter of preference.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
I did some research on this. Corrosion can occur on plain aluminum when facing stainless steel, however there are a couple things to keep in mind:

- Your watch is made of anodized aluminum which has a greater resistance to corrosion
- Both the band and the watch have a coating to protect both surfaces when facing each other
- Water can accelerate the process, but not by a lot. Salt water seems to be the biggest catalyst
- The research i did shows that this corrosion issue wouldn't start occurring for 8-10 years. I'm guessing you'll be upgrading before then :cool:

This article talks about how it started to corrode after 1000 hours of salt spray tests. I think the long story short is that keep it out of the ocean unless you have a sports band.

http://aluminumsurface.blogspot.com/2009/04/corrosion-between-anodized-aluminum-and.html

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
I'm using this exact combo on my 38mm AWS and it looks great, no issues. The band is really nice soft and probably is one of the nicest leather bands I've wore.

Nightrich

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Tennessee
I did some research on this. Corrosion can occur on plain aluminum when facing stainless steel, however there are a couple things to keep in mind:

- Your watch is made of anodized aluminum which has a greater resistance to corrosion
- Both the band and the watch have a coating to protect both surfaces when facing each other
- Water can accelerate the process, but not by a lot. Salt water seems to be the biggest catalyst
- The research i did shows that this corrosion issue wouldn't start occurring for 8-10 years. I'm guessing you'll be upgrading before then :cool:

This article talks about how it started to corrode after 1000 hours of salt spray tests. I think the long story short is that keep it out of the ocean unless you have a sports band.

http://aluminumsurface.blogspot.com/2009/04/corrosion-between-anodized-aluminum-and.html
I spoke with Apple Support today about this. I have a 38mm SGS and asked about corrosion with the classic leather buckle and he explicitly told me that corrosion is something that would not only be covered in the one year warranty but also with my Apple Care. He also guaranteed that it would not happen. I understand the chemical process behind it and even if it somehow managed to corrode it would be covered. This alone alleviates my concern knowing that Apple would take care of it. I say go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.