Is it ok to use Time Machine to

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by astbn4, May 4, 2013.

1. astbn4 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new 240GB SSD, 8GB RAM, and 1TD portable hard drive for my 2010 13'' MacBook Pro.

Is it ok to use Time Machine to back everything into the portable hard drive before inserting the hardwares in my MacBook Pro, or do I need to use the app Clone Copy? Can someone please clarify what I should do so I don't lose anything when I replace HD with SSD.

Also, will it give my computer much better performance if I move the Hard Drive into the Optical Drive spot?

Many thanks in advance.

EDITED: Sorry about the title, I didn't notice I left it half completed

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

You can do either!

If you have a hard drive enclosure then just use CCC and clone, way easier.

If you don't have an external enclosure, then you can install the SSD and boot to do an internet recovery of the OS, and then boot it again and hold Command + R and select the restore from time machine backup utility.

Also make sure to check the SSD optimization thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1505922&highlight=ssd+tweak

Edit: Just noticed it was a 2010. I'm not sure if this can internet recovery? Does it still use the disk? Don't have one so I'm not sure.

As for the better performance: Using the HDD won't make it better. I'm not sure what you mean by that. It will give it more storage of course, but as for performance, if anything a 5400RPM drive will slow it down. If you don't need the storage I certainly wouldn't bother!

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Using CCC is quicker and more straightforward. Many use this method. Time machine will work too.

I don't get what do you mean better performance with a HD in the optical bay. Like above, a HDD in the optical bay will give you more storage capacity.

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Boot from the recovery partition, then open Disk Utility, select one of the partitions which contain your data and click the “New Image” button. Save the 1:1 copy of the partition in a .dmg file, and store the .dmg file on your external backup disk. I recommend that you create a read-only or a compressed .dmg file. Both contain a checksum.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Time Machine works fine for this as long as you are on Lion or Mt. Lion. Just install the SSD then option key boot to the Time Machine disk. This will bring up a recovery screen. Use Disk Util to format the new SSD to Mac OS Extended, then quit Disk Util and click restore. The entire OS and all your data will be put on the SSD.

Lastly, after you restart go into the Startup Disk pane in System Prefs and select the SSD as the boot drive.