Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I've become exasperated with constant app updates. The worst is Skype. It used to be a nice simple Android app until Microsoft took it over. And since then there was literally a deluge of updates (on Android), none making any difference in the app performance.

On iOS it's slightly better, but I am noticing that apps like Uber and Lyft also getting updates every few days.

1- What is the negative effect of skipping updates? I am now updating these apps once a month.

2- If I had say version x.1 and skip x.2, x.3, x.4 and directly update to x.5, do the in-between versions also automatically get downloaded?

3- Why are updates for most iOS apps so big? I notice they're mostly in excess of 120 MBs. I remember with Android updates were smaller sizes.

Thanks!

ddmcnair

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
If you really want to know the updates are big, it is because of all the stuff that has to be included in self executing binary file. Now on the first part, I would recommend you update and not skip versions. The reality of the online world is that hacking and malicious activity are on the rise, and these hackers and so and so's are getting craftier and sneakier all the time.

That is where updates come in. Software code is modified to patch vulnerabilities and introduce security and malware countermeasures. Hackers often reply on apps that are out of date and have vulnerabilities. So when an update comes out, I would say, embrace it with open arms and help make your device less attractive to those that would try to do harm.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've become exasperated with constant app updates. The worst is Skype. It used to be a nice simple Android app until Microsoft took it over. And since then there was literally a deluge of updates (on Android), none making any difference in the app performance.

On iOS it's slightly better, but I am noticing that apps like Uber and Lyft also getting updates every few days.

1- What is the negative effect of skipping updates? I am now updating these apps once a month.

2- If I had say version x.1 and skip x.2, x.3, x.4 and directly update to x.5, do the in-between versions also automatically get downloaded?

3- Why are updates for most iOS apps so big? I notice they're mostly in excess of 120 MBs. I remember with Android updates were smaller sizes.

Thanks!
Something to keep in mind is that the listed size is often not how much actually gets downloaded when delta updates and app slicing comes into play.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I've been burned plenty of times updating apps that:

1. Will now no longer work that used to work fine with no way to get your old app back
  2. Now have a bunch of bad bugs that make the app almost unusable
  3. Have been completely redesigned in a way that is much worse than it was before
  4. Now take longer to load for no apparent reason
My experience has shown me that updating an app that works fine is a huge risk. I no longer update any apps any longer.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
If you really want to know the updates are big, it is because of all the stuff that has to be included in self executing binary file. Now on the first part, I would recommend you update and not skip versions. The reality of the online world is that hacking and malicious activity are on the rise, and these hackers and so and so's are getting craftier and sneakier all the time.

That is where updates come in. Software code is modified to patch vulnerabilities and introduce security and malware countermeasures. Hackers often reply on apps that are out of date and have vulnerabilities. So when an update comes out, I would say, embrace it with open arms and help make your device less attractive to those that would try to do harm.
Oh yes, of course. I know all that and in fact am pretty diligent when it comes to updating Mac OS and even iOS. It's just that some of these apps are irritating me with constant updates. And seriously, how can Uber, Lyft, and Skype be so vulnerable that they need to constantly send out updates?!
Speaking of which, I am intrigued to see that no updates are sent out for FaceTime or other Apple apps. So, what's going on here?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Now on the first part, I would recommend you update and not skip versions.

So when an update comes out, I would say, embrace it with open arms and help make your device less attractive to those that would try to do harm.
Yeah…not happening for me unless the devs are still releasing versions compatible with iOS 9.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Oh yes, of course. I know all that and in fact am pretty diligent when it comes to updating Mac OS and even iOS. It's just that some of these apps are irritating me with constant updates. And seriously, how can Uber, Lyft, and Skype be so vulnerable that they need to constantly send out updates?!
Speaking of which, I am intrigued to see that no updates are sent out for FaceTime or other Apple apps. So, what's going on here?
Built in iOS apps get updated in iOS updates. They don't get separate/individual updates through the App Store.

Not all updates are to address vulnerabilities, plenty are for smaller bug fixes or other optimizations and/or new functions or features here or there.

Nerdyaf

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2019
1) some apps have to be updated to run; i.e. it will say something along the lines of we have a newer version pl update

2) some updates are to remove bugs or strengthen security. the former is especially true for newer apps which will be undergoing more iterations as they learn about their users

3) maybe try updating every few days or every week, when you have wifi, so the size isnt an issue

4) skipping versions should generally be fine. havent had much experience as I update every few days, and apps dont roll out new versions so quickly

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
4) skipping versions should generally be fine. havent had much experience as I update every few days, and apps dont roll out new versions so quickly
Great. That's what I've decided to do with the more egregious ones :)
But when I update directly to, say, version 4 from version 1, will versions 2 and 3 also be downloaded?
I mean does it work cumulatively and version 4 can only be installed if versions 3 and 2 are already in place?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Great. That's what I've decided to do with the more egregious ones :)
But when I update directly to, say, version 4 from version 1, will versions 2 and 3 also be downloaded?
I mean does it work cumulatively and version 4 can only be installed if versions 3 and 2 are already in place?
Usually it's all independent.

Reactions: AMSOS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.