Is it okay to keep my MBP plugged in w/o battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freakmanseven, Jul 21, 2009.

1. freakmanseven macrumors newbie

Hey had a question, is it okay to keep my MBP plugged in if i take the battery out?

I found this : (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2332), which states that the MBP will reduce it's processor speed when battery is out, but i believe this is only temporary, and will not reduce processor speed overall, only temporarily when the battery is out.

I'm trying to conserve battery life. I know that apple does not recommend keeping the comp plugged in all the time with the battery in it. I also know that the more cycles you use, the more your battery will die. Therefore, is the best way to preserve life to use one cycle every 1 or 2 weeks, and the rest of the time leave it plugged in with the battery out?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

It doesn't seem like that is permanent so you should be okay.

4. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

If you're willing to sacrifice a considerable amount of performance in a computer you just paid $2000 for in order to get an extra month out of your battery, then I say go for it, and keep the battery out!

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why would you buy a laptop computer and take the battery out? :confused:

6. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

He probably just doesn't want to wear out the battery prematurely and since he is probably using it a lot at home as well as out where you need the battery, he doesn't want to waste it when he can just plug in. It makes some sense, but I don't think it is worth trying to take the battery out over it, but nevertheless there is logic in his thinking.

7. freakmanseven thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm just sayin... if all im doing is... say listening to my itunes on my laptop... i might as well take the battery out since i don't need the extra performance just to play music. [Besides i can't even notice a performance difference between when the battery is in and when it's out] unless you were trying to play some intense game like AOE or warcraft, maybe you'd see a difference.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just leave it in. Too many things can go wrong if the innards of your machine are exposed.

9. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If the battery is charged and the notebook is plugged in, you're not affecting the battery life by much (if any).

Also, the magsafe power cord is very easily unplugged, and a hard shutdown is bad for the OS (not to mention any files you may be working on).

Don't be paranoid. Leave the battery in.

10. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

yeah, no need to panic about the battery

battery life is controlled well in OSX and if it fails cause you have a faulty battery, you're 99% covered.. even if your out of warranty. ...cause batteries are such a dangerous thing

11. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

But he isn't talking about the battery failing, he is talking about it gradually decreasing its health as all batteries do.

12. Snowbound macrumors regular

Just don't worry about it. If you have it out and someone bumps the ac adapter and you lose one major file you were working on, it won't have been worth it.

13. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Notice the little light on your Magsafe power adapter? When its green, the battery is fully charged and is NOT being charged. When its orange, its charging. If you use the system primarily plugged in, then its not going to be charging. Leave your battery in. :)

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The processor downclocks to somewhere in the 1.x GHz range without a battery. You may as well have gotten a netbook.

15. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Hey, I love my netbook... but then again, it was $349, not $2k. :D And it doesn't run OS X :mad: (Well, I guess I could... but still...)

16. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

The battery still helps even out any inconsistencies in power supply and power usage (i.e., starting a graphics intensive application) this is why it down-clocks the processor. It uses the clock to absorb changes (as I understand it), its a lot safer in my opinion for many reasons to just leave the battery in, and remember there are storage procedures for leaving batteries out for extended periods.

17. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Just keep it in, as long as you don't get below 95%, OS X won't charge the battery, running completely off of AC, until you need the battery because of interruption/heavy work.

18. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

There's no need to take the battery out. Do the battery maintenance once a month or so and your good to go.