Is it okay to repeatedly shutdown/restart

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sushai, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Sushai macrumors newbie

i am a teacher in a school where we have been told that every student must shut down each MacBook or iMac when finished. It is not unusual for 6-8 classes a day to do this. I have said putting the MacBooks to sleep would be better for them. Some of the laptops are taking 5 minutes to restart. Can't find data from Apple to support my concerns.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it does put more wear on them and it definitally uses more power to turn them off and on that often,just having them log out should be good enough.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your Mac wants to sleep not go into a coma. You should really tell your school to RTFM because I am fairly certain it says something about it. If I am wrong then they should simply take your advice.

A cold boot takes more power than waking a sleeping Mac. It has to run through everything basically and "wake up" from a deep sleep. Hopefully they'll heed your warning and start to sleep the machines. While in college we only had to ensure our machine was asleep.

4. BlackViper macrumors member

Too much time

While I doubt that shutting down the Macs between classes is harmful, it does seem like a waste of time. A logout and sleep would be much quicker. 5 min startup/shutdown time adds up after 6 classes/day, 5 days/week. In addition OSX runs system maintenance on the middle of the night if left on, has your IT dept accounted for this?

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

They should really be left in sleep mode if they're only going to be used in the next class. There's not much point shutting them down unless it was the end of the day, in my opinion. Heating up/cooling down hard drives and other parts continuously can wear them down quicker. It also uses more power turning on/off, like jessica. says. Making them just log out and then sleep the computers would be better.

6. chill. macrumors 6502

it really does not matter at all. the power consumption difference between reboot and sleeping, and the effect upon machine wear is trivial.