Is it old news that iPhone MyWi sends location data?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by fs454, May 22, 2010.

1. fs454 macrumors 68000

I was walking today in Boston trying to find our one and only Jamba Juice. I had mywi on coming out of my car, and pocketed the iPhone without turning it off. I decided to whip out my iPad to see a bigger map and find out the address when I realized that the blue dot was updating live as I walked. This, along with the compass, led me directly to where i was going just as if my Wi Fi iPad had GPS. Pretty cool, to be able to share all aspects of my 3G equipment from my 3GS automatically.

My iPad is jailbroken as well but I'm pretty sure i have nothing else aiding this. Is this old news? It suprised me and was extremely useful.

2. Hellion macrumors member

Hellion

Interesting... guess i'm gonna give that a try to!

3. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I think--and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still not clear on all the GPS stuff--that what you're seeing is the iPad's built-in ability to do a pseudo-GPS function as long as it has internet access.

4. UCF Sam macrumors regular

It doesn't... The iPad uses wifi locations around (even ones you're not connected to) to triangulate your location. It's surprisingly pretty accurate.

5. fs454 thread starter macrumors 68000

Are you sure about what I used being solely triangulation? It followed me pretty accurately down a couple streets where at the end it had me looking my destination in the eyes both on the map and in person.

I'll have to do this again somewhere less populated.

6. T4R06 macrumors 65816