Is it pointless to get an iPhone 5s now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brian1868, Mar 26, 2014.

1. brian1868 macrumors member

I really want a new iPhone now and I don't know if I can wait for the iPhone 6. If I buy an iPhone 5s now, is it easy to sell it after the iPhone 6 come out? Is it possible that I sell it with a proper price? If so, how?

Thank you guys.

2. Alx9876 macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

If you need a phone now, This month. Then buy the 5s now. You will be happy and will not regret it. The phone is fast and fun.

If the iPhone 6 rumors about 4.7 inch display are true, Then I wouldn't bother with it anyway. The 6 should have 5 inch display no less at the smallest.

That 4.7/4.8 inch display boat has left the docks over a year and half ago.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

A 16GB 5S when the 6 comes out will likely sell for around $300 give or take 10-15% depending on your area. I find rural areas tend to have higher resale values than metropolitan for obvious reasons (if it isn't obvious it has to do with population I would think).

If you are very worried about resale value, I would try and buy used from a trustable source. Used phones are already going for about $500 where I live (with a few hopefuls listing for $600), so prices are already well below retail.

I actually like to do craigslist, and have a few tips to help safeguard yourself from scams. Nothing is fool proof, but these tips are generally helpful.

1. Go with someone who has a box with matching serial number. A used phone with the box is likely not a stolen phone. Stealing both the phone AND the box is much tougher to do than just the phone. An original receipt is AMAZING, but that is going to be a lot harder to get. You can try and ask if the person bought it at Apple. If so, the receipt will be easier to track as it likely linked to their email.

2. ALWAYS make sure you are able to set up the phone as new ON THE SPOT. iCloud locked phones can not be recovered unless you get the info from the original user. There is no exception to this. NONE. If your phone you just bought is iCloud locked and the seller is long gone and not responding to your communications you now have a paperweight (and likely a stolen phone).

3. Meet at the carrier company store (not an authorized reseller) and have them check the phone out for you (simple run of IMEI and ESN). Also have them move the phone to your account. Make sure the person selling you the phone has authorization to make changes to the account the phone is currently on. Again, this step helps reduce the risk of a phone being stolen.

4. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

I sold my iPhone 5 16GB 3 days ago for 400 euros, people are willing to pay good money if you keep the device unscratched.

5. Shaqq macrumors regular

Shaqq

It's not stupid to buy one now at all. You will be able to sell it for about $450-500 when the new iPhone comes out or before it comes out.

6. Infinus.gold macrumors regular

Infinus.gold

I will suggest to buy really cheap iPhone 4.
    Feel the gist of iOS 7 and all around iPhone lifestyle.

Later when iPhone 6 comes..
    You will posses good iPhone usage experience to judge what's good for you.

Practise before final game.

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

OP, which decide do you currently have now. If it is an iPhone 5, don't bother to upgrade.

8. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat. My 4s is on it's last legs. I was hoping it would last until the 6 comes out but I doubt I can deal with another 6 months of 4-6 hours of battery life and spotty screen response.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Not in the US man. These things are a dime a dozen.

10. cuzo macrumors 6502

I see sprint iPhone 5s selling for less than 350 in new condition haha

11. brian1868 thread starter macrumors member

I currently have an iPhone 4s 16GB

----------

I have an iPhone 4s now.:(

12. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

What is wrong with the 4S. I think you will be fine with it for a while. Patience:)

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I think the 4.7 will be a big hit. 4 to 4.7" is pretty significant, you don't really realize it until you hold those 2 sized screens next to each other. If Apple can manage to go to 4.7 and not increase the size of the phone, or maybe marginally increase it, then people will go nuts over it IMO. Personally I keep going back to my iphone year after year mainly because of the size and the ease of using it one handed, not because I particularly love the OS.

14. sholzer macrumors regular

another plus one to 4.7". I think 4.7" is the perfect size for a phone (I have a moto X) 5" feels just a little bit too big, even after being used to 4.7". 4" to 5" is a HUGE jump

15. rapicell macrumors regular

You do realize that's completely subjective, right? Not everyone wants a 5 inch or bigger screen.

16. Alx9876 macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

Absolutely. Basically all the combined sales of the Galaxy S3, S4 & Note 3 are the ones that want the bigger display.

But I did compare my 5s to the HTC One that is 4.7 inch. To me it's still small. 4.8 inch should be the smallest not 4.7. That one centimeter is noticeable only if you hold the GS3 side by side with the HTC One.

Ever since I bought the iPhone 3G, I've been wanting a bigger display. I went the GS3 route for a year and 6 months. But it lacked the features that I love about iOS.

The folks here on this board all want smaller. They're insane. This has been an constant argument for the longest time now.

The rest of the world is wanting a bigger display. The sales will prove this in the near future.

17. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

Screen size is not the only advantage of Android.

Actually, I don't know anyone who switched to Android due to screen size, but I know many opposite cases.

18. irDigital0l Guest

Have some self control.

The iPhone 6 comes out August/September.

Its the end of March now. Do the math.

19. kelub macrumors regular

Of course, anecdotal stories can go on forever. I have a close friend who switched to Android *only* because of the screen size. He's already said that if Apple does a larger screen he'll come back. On the other hand, I have coworkers who were upset that the 5 was going to be a bigger screen. They loved the 3.5" compact size and didn't want it to get larger. They REALLY don't want a 4.7" or 5.5" screen.

Personally, I'd like a bit bigger screen. I don't want a phablet - everytime I see a Note II it reminds me of the last episode of iCarly (yes I have kids) where Freddie has a Samsun Gemini Max Pad phone (it's ridiculous.) But I do find myself regularly flipping my phone horizontal in order to read text. Something a bit bigger than my iPhone but much smaller than my iPad Mini would be nice, so 4.7" seems like a good middle ground.

To the OP: if you can wait, I'd wait. 6 months seems long but it isn't. If your phone is falling apart, pick up something used and inexpensive (another 4s or something) to hold you over. But don't blow an upgrade slot or a wad of cash on a 5s unless you *really* like the 4" size and have 0 interest in a larger phone. If if you can sell it later, you'll still likely end up spending more money overall than if you'd just waited.

20. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I read this comment 1000 times on this forum about "I think 3.5" is the perfect size for a phone" then in 2012 "I think 4.0" is the perfect size for a phone"

Now in 2014 "I think 4.7" is the perfect size for a phone."

Really funny seeing some of the same exact users (not you) posting that.

21. brian1868 thread starter macrumors member

Just really fond of the thinner and lighter iPhone 5 model, and my battery dies really fast now.

22. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

A battery case would solve that one problem:)

23. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1717560

24. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Buy a new battery online and fit it yourself. It takes around 10 minutes to do.
    As for upgrades, the 5S is only halfway through its life cycle so why not get it? It isn't like the iPhone6 is due next month and apart from the rumoured increased screen size, it probably won't be a whole lot different in terms of performance. The 5S got a slightly better camera, a fingerprint reader and a faster processor which is barely noticeable in real world use. No iPhone 5 user is really missing out on anything.

I bought my iPhone 5 two months before the 5S landed. I wanted to wait but I needed a new phone. Not everyone can limp along until the latest and greatest becomes available.

25. brian1868 thread starter macrumors member