Is it possible a GSM phone cannot be unlocked?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sikkinixx, Jul 4, 2012.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I don't know too much about cell networking stuff, but it is possible that a phone cannot be unlocked?

Before my gf switched over to an iPhone she had a wonderful Sony W810i, which is a tank of a phone. Sadly it was locked with Rogers (Canadian carrier). Anyway, I thought it would be nice to have an unlocked phone to have with us for travelling, especially on our trips to the US, since if it gets lost or stolen it wouldn't be a big deal and the battery life is stellar to boot.

I tried all sorts of trickery with programs, nothing worked. I have paid 3 separate unlocking services online, all of which have refunded my money saying they can't do it.

Is there a weird reason for this? It sucks since I have a nice phone that is more or less useless. Plus I really have a softspot for the old thing. (and yes, I have tried craigslisting it... no bites)

2. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I wish I knew away. All Canadian carriers are ****** about unlocking -- though, at this point, I'd look into calling Rogers and seeing if you could get an unlock code. That is a fabulous phone you've got there.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's always a method for a carrier to unlock a phone. Whether they'll do it or not is a different story.