Is it possible/advisable to store video on external disks?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mortenjensen, Apr 29, 2012.

1. mortenjensen macrumors regular

Hi all
    Though having a 750 gig HD, I am running out of storage pretty soon due to some video editing. One DV tape takes up 12 gb when ripped, and then comes the editing files + final outputs.

I was thinking: Is it possible to set up an external HD as the main storage place? Right now, my ripped files are just kept in my "Video"-folder.

If it is, will it then work OK or is a regular usb-disk simply too slow?

What are you guys doing about this?

Morten

2. simsaladimbamba

Relocate your iMovie projects

It is always advised to use an extra HDD (internal or external) and not the HDD/SSD the OS is stored on.

As for USB 2.0, it is okay for DV footage (which has been "captured", not "ripped"), but Firewire 400 or 800 would be better.

I once edited a 20 minute film using DV footage stored on a USB 2.0 2.5" HDD, it was okay, but once I used a FW800 HDD it was a much better experience.

3. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

Hey Sim

Thx for all your replies. Great!

One thing: In settings for iMovie, it does not seem possible to change the standard folder locations. Is that needed?

Or put different: Is it possible to change the location for the Movie-folder permanently? Or shall I just place the footage where I want it each time I capture?

Morten

4. simsaladimbamba

As far as I know, it does not seem that way, but I also don't use iMovie, so maybe there is a trick.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

When you import into iMovie, the import dialogue box gives you the choice of where to save the import. Just choose your external drive.

6. McRCN macrumors regular

Keeping your video on an external hard drive is a great idea. I keep all of my music on a separate external hard drive too.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

The only requirement is that the Events are located in a folder called iMovie Events, and the Projects are located in a folder called iMovie Projects. Where you store them doesn't matter. If it's on an external drive iMovie (and FCP X, assuming you are using Final Cut Event & Final Cut Project folders and you have the application installed) will read them fine. I would strongly advise against editing projects off of an external USB 2 drive. It's okay to archive them there, but when you're editing put them on your Macintosh HD or on a separate internal drive like on the Mac Pro or iMac HDD + SSD models.