Is it possible Apple is making a lightning cable 2 that includes USB 3.0 for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jun 14, 2014.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Would it work on all iPhones or it would only work on future iPhone's ?
    iPhone 6 should get USB 3.0 support for faster backups and exporting. Since if the macbooks have it...The future iPhone and iPads should too ?

2. Linkiepoo macrumors newbie

We hope so! I think they might push backup over Wifi or airdrop?

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Somehow, I doubt USB 3.0 will come to the iPhone anytime soon. Apple seems to be pushing users towards wireless backups (i.e.: your iOS devices will back up automatically at night while charging, without you needing to do anything on your part).

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

It's not the interface that's limiting the connection speed. The actual memory chips don't allow connections that fully utilize USB2.0 speeds.

5. cynics macrumors G4

This.

The NAND speed is only around 25mbs. So syncing from storage and other similar things is already limited and USB 3 won't make it faster.

There are improvements that could be made however. Like the increase in latency when mirroring is higher with a lightning cable then 30 pin.

6. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Yep. This was beat to death when they first introduced USB 3 into Mac's, the storage isn't fast enough to take advantage of the faster speed.

7. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I doubt this is a priority for Apple. They are looking at wifi and cloud sync as a cable sync solution.

If they can support it without any additional cost then they will, otherwise sync over wifi n 5ghz will be your quickest option.