Is it possible at an Apple Store to upgrade memory and processors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dad2rem, Oct 12, 2009.

1. dad2rem macrumors newbie

I leave tomorrow for a business trip. Here in Colorado, they don't sell MBP's in the stores with the 3 GHz processor or the 256gig SSD. Once I get to Boston, can I go to the Apple Store, purchase a new MBP, and, with waiting, get both the memory and processor upgraded? I'd like to leave my current computer home with my wife, as her laptop crashed. Via phone or internet, they say it would ship in 1-3 days and, for a fee, shipping takes 2-3 days. Sorry, but that's too long.
    Sorry for the noob question. I did search both this site and the Apple site and was not able to find an answer. To those who can and do help, in advance, thank you.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think you have your terms mixed up.

processor = CPU, measured in GHz. this cannot be upgraded.
    memory = RAM, measured in units GB. this CAN be upgraded.
    storage = HDD, measured in hundreds of GB. this CAN be upgraded.

does that help at all? :D

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

5. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Not possible, but check out the Boston Apple store anyways. Biggest one in North America if I'm not mistaken. It's quite nice too. :D

6. dad2rem thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I do know the difference between a storage capacity, be it RAM, HD, or SSD, and measure of the speed of a processor (Hz, MHz, GHz, etc.). I suppose the error sprung from both using "gig" in their units. In my defense, people do talk about, in slang/shorthand, 2gig or 3gig processors, dropping the "-ahertz." Perhaps they are unenlightened. Anyway, I edited my original post.
    Thanks for the info on what can and cannot be upgraded. I knew RAM could be upgraded, as I did it in my old MBP. Back in the day, though, I did upgrade the processor in my Windows PC. Now I know that cannot be done in the MBP. I also know now that the SSD can be upgraded.
    2 follow-up questions, then (Sounds like a presidential press conference.)-
    Do they ever, in the larger stores, stock the 3.06 GHz processor?
    If the 256GB SSD happened not to be in the MBP with the above-mentioned processor, could that be done in the store?
    (Beginning to sound like my wife is out of luck. Besides being stuck with me, I mean.)

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i assumed that you did know the difference, was just making sure :) im glad to help.

yup but macs tend to be a bit more.. tight-assed. lol. apple doesnt let you upgrade them generally.

yup they do, but you might still have half a day waiting while the upgrade the RAM or something for you.

it would depend on their stocks, if they had the 3.06GHz computer in stock, but didnt have a 256GD SSD in stock then you would have to wait. i would ring to make sure.

8. dad2rem thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all very much. I appreciate the help and I do look forward to seeing the big Boston store. Even with time zone differences, I won't be able to call the store before I leave. Looks like I'll have to take my computer and my wife will have to muddle along with hers. Too bad, it was an opportunity for me to get a new MBP under the guise or helping her.