Is it possible for a Developer ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WeegieMac, Jun 9, 2011.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

No, not to add my UDID, but to check if it's in use/been added elsewhere?

A developer (he's got apps on the store, so he is legit) is adding people, and says I've had my UDID added to his account and to "enjoy" iOS 5. The thing is that in return, I have to beta test some future apps ... fair enough.

Thing is, if he's lying and I restore to iOS 5, I'm left with a brick that can't be activated, and that's just not happening. I've emailed him asking for a screenshot or confirmation of some kind, but nothing back.

So is it possible for a Developer to check if my UDID is already registered, or can a UDID be added to more than one account?

If it can't be done, I'm binning the ipsw and waiting until September.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Nope. Only the developer who claims to have added it can see the devices in attached to their account.

3. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Sack that then, in the bin it goes.

Edit: If a Developer tried to add it, and the UDID was added to another account elsewhere, would an error be given stating that "This UDID is in use" or something along those lines?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Nope. A device can be added to multiple accounts without an issues.

5. vultureboy macrumors member

vultureboy

Unfortunately not. It's possible for a UDID to be added to lots of accounts so that you could test apps from multiple developers.

The only way I could think of checking (if he won't send you a screen shot) would be to get him to send you a piece of beta software to test. If you can install the beta then he has you on his list! :)

6. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Ah well, bang goes that theory.

As I said, he was happy to add for free and obtained my UDID through signing up to be a Beta Tester for his apps via TestFlight. I signed up and received an email via TestFlight, which I opened on my iPhone and set up my device from there ... it installed a Profile and web app for TestFlight to view profile/access new betas of apps by the developer.

I then got an email from the Developer saying that he'd added me, but call me an cynic but it was "all too easy" to quote a famous movie line ...

7. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

couldn't you just install iOS 5 and if it doesn't work downgrade to 4.3.3?

8. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

I think it is that simple. but inorder to have a working phone
    http://gizmodo.com/5809621/how-to-upgrade-to-ios-5-today-without-any-developer-account

9. WeegieMac, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011

WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

It's the stress of sitting here, at 10pm at night, stressed out my box with a phone giving me restore errors in iTunes and hunting through Google and numerous forums for a fix.

And my wife would go mental because I'd be on the Mac until 5am, cursing and using matchsticks to keep my bloodshot eyes open as I down cans of Red Bull ... lol

That doesn't activate the phone, it just leaves you with a nice iPod touch with iOS5 features that looks like an iPhone!

10. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

On his end, I believe all he has to do is copy/paste your UDID into his Provisioned Devices list, then add the Team profile, or something along those lines... I'm not sure what the exact steps are for devices that you don't physically have, since I only did my own (plugged in and using Xcode), but I think it's probably just about that simple. The only difference with plugging it in is that Xcode can automatically add the profile for you, I believe.

11. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Since we're discussing developers and UDIDs does anyone know how UDIDs get removed from a developer acount?
    Do they expire or does the developer have to manually remove them?
    Does Apple purge them every now and then if they see no developer-type activity?

12. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I believe they expire when the developer's 1-year package expires. The developer can also remove them manually.

I know that developers are allowed to register up to 99 additional devices per year, and even if they add one then remove it, that one still counts toward their 99.

13. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

oh wow i was about to do this, im scared to now :( maybe i should just pay $99 dollars lol all I wanted was the notification lol

14. dspalton macrumors 6502a

If someone does it get them to give you a screen shot of it

David

15. vultureboy macrumors member

vultureboy

UDIDs will not be removed from a developers account unless...

1. They manually remove an individual UDID
    2. They can wipe all 99 UDID's once per year
    3. Their account is not renewed

Unless one of those 3 conditions is met the UDID will remain active for... ever! :)

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

4. Apple discover the developer has been selling UDID slots and revoke their account without notice or refunds.

17. vultureboy macrumors member

vultureboy

Good point! Should really have included that in my point 3 but I suppose I could extend it to a 4 point conditional!

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

[​IMG]