Is it possible for a store to pass off a returned Mac as Brand New?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by countofmc, Jun 25, 2014.

1. countofmc macrumors newbie

I've owned several Macbooks, and the way they are packaged makes it unlikely a store could pass of an open boxed item as brand new. However, I recently purchased a brand new MBA from a large national retailer. When I got the laptop, everything seemed well. The box was shrink wrapped, the laptop itself was sealed in plastic with the sticker intact, there was the protective sheet on the monitor when I opened up the laptop, and upon start up it asked me to register and all that jazz.
    However the very strange thing was the laptop had two visible smudges on each side of the trackpad, looked very much like palm marks from someone putting their hand there. It cleaned off easily though. Could this just be from the assembly/ QC process from the factory? I'd think it would be very unlikely i got a used/refurbished unit just from all the above factors I listed, but thought i'd check.

2. sdimas macrumors member

I would think it is most likely from someone touching it at the assembly. Companies are supposed to mark returned or repaired items as refurbished if they are placed for sale again. There may be a very very slim chance that someone messed up and put it on the line with the new machines but that is very unlikely.

You still have the same features and the same warranty (I'm guessing because the general consensus is you should buy AppleCare).

Just shrug it off and enjoy your MacBook.

I have yet to buy mine, but am still on this forum reading about all the features in my spare time. I'm pretty excited to get my own MB soon

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

A slight smudge from the manufacturing process is most likely.

if someone else used the computer and registered it, the warranty may have already started. You can check the start date of your warranty here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Anyway, it's probably not an issue.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Check the battery cycle count!

5. countofmc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, just checked it, cycle count is 2. Looks good.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Perfectly normal. Brand new Macs have a cycle count of 0-5 from the factory...

7. countofmc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. Between this and the other stuff, seems like it's safe to say this is brand new from factory. I guess the smudges were just made during the assembly / QC process.