Is it possible for Apple to replace my entire MacBook Pro case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slabbius, May 31, 2008.

1. slabbius macrumors member

I don't care how much I need to pay, so long as it's not too exorbitant. The case is badly bent inward above the superdrive and the drive no longer can burn. I keep getting spindle servo errors, focus errors, and medium errors in Toast. All I really need to know is if I'm totally screwed or not.:confused:

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

take it to an apple store. is it under warranty? if you complain a lot and tell them that it bent by itself they may do it for free.

3. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Is it possible? Yes. Is it possible for free? Yes. Is it probable for free? No.

4. slabbius thread starter macrumors member

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

300+

just kidding.

~120 + labor/tax.
    I'd say 2 hours of labor at least.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

just the top case (the bit with the keyboard and mouse etc) is £105 (about $200)
    id imagine the bottom part being much more expensive, due to the shape and holes for sockets etc

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

not going into specifics, but top case is more expensive than the bottom case, and that's not including the keyboard.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

ifixit.com charge $200 - $250 for the upper case (no keyboard)
    and $200 - $240 for the lower case for a 15" MBP.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

$250 for the case plus $180 per hour of labor; it works out to be about 1 hour of labor, so $430.

The real question is whether this is a your fault or a defect; if it's your fault, you will have to pay to replace it; if it's a defect, they will replace the case. However from the sounds of it, I don't see how it can be bent in...

10. Hmac macrumors 68020

My daughter's MacBook got a broken-off headphone pin stuck in the jack. It was clear that removing it would require detaching the motherboard and lifting it enough to grab the stub. Two different Apple geniuses quoted it at $500 (she and I ultimately did it ourselves using tutorial info from iFixit.com).

My guess is you're looking at $600 and up.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

@OP: Actually have you tried to push that bent piece back out?

12. ipedro, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

MacBookPro 17" bottom case: CAD$239 + $30 labour

I called the Apple Store to find out.

**WARNING: GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION BELOW**

My 2010 MacBookPro 17" was badly bent when my bag's strap broke and the whole thing went tumbling down 2 flights of stairs. It was in the bag but the bottom case was horribly dented in misaligning the case holes from the ports. If left as is, I couldn't plug ethernet or Firewire in. It was that bad.

I was of course angry so my better judgement was absent. I was about to do something crazy. After babying my MacBookPro for all of its life, I put an eraser on the case, and banged it with a hammer!! :eek: hahaha!! It worked. It's almost completely unnoticeable. This is a very malleable metal it seems.

Still, although it's not completely visible, I still know it's there and some other wear and tear have tainted the case in my eyes. I've been upgrading the internals for the past few months (8GB RAM 1TB HDD) so I'd like to start fresh with a new case. This Mac is going to last me at least another 2 years.