Is it possible for my iPhone to have a virus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Caris, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Caris, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015

Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Over the past few days I've been experiencing this weird issue on my iPhone. I'm getting redirected to certain websites about weight loss pills and other spammy things. The thing is it's not a pop up and it's happening on all different sites, not just one.

I've deleted Safari's cookies and cache but it's still happening, below is a screenshot. Anyone got any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It looks like it's just ads that you're running into for some reason. Theoretically it would be possible for the iPhone to get a virus, but I'm pretty sure there are none out there at the moment.

3. YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

Just make sure to update to the most recent iOS update and if jailbroken, avoid pirated apps and you should be fine.

4. scaredpoet, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Is the phone jailbroken? If not, then it's unlikely the phone has a virus.

Do the ads show up only when you're on WiFi, or on certain WiFi access points? If so, it's possible the router might be infected with malware that is injecting ads into your web traffic.

Lastly, it could be your ISP doing the ad injection.

EDIT: Googling around, this appears to be the work of a malicious javascript ad placed via AdSense and other ad networks on legit websites, not malware installed on devices. Just shady spammers taking advantage of how web browsers work.

5. Bahroo macrumors 68000

i actually started noticing this too, i thought i was accidentally tapping on little ads on the display somehow but it would just happen out of no where, i'd be like wtf... not really a big deal as it doesnt happen often really but i was just wondering too

browsers like Dolphin/Mercury actually have ad blockers in them(works great for websites) not 100% entirely sure if it will stop that but i think it might

6. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

My phone isn't jailbroken and everything is up to date.

7. Merkie macrumors 68020

8. minicard macrumors regular

minicard

Have you put "limit ad tracking?" Go to Settings>Privacy>Advertising then turn on limit ad tracking.

9. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Interesting, been seeing this myself. Glad to know it's likely nothing serious.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Seems the ad people are getting more and more savvy each day.

11. c0LdFire macrumors regular

At one point or another you looked up weight loss pills (or someone else did using your IP address / machine(s)). Now you're being targeted ads for them. Nothing new.

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

This happens to me too, only when I'm off of Wi-Fi. Trying to read Flyertalk on mobile data just does Not work for me. It redirects me to a page about Lyft. I tried clearing cache and it does not work, interested in a solution as well.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, there's no such thing as an iPhone virus currently.
    It's just a browser ad redirect page.

14. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

While I too am facing similar ad-related issues, I have noticed that if a page has an ad (say for instance the Right Side of the MacRumors front page) and if I touch on it even when I am scrolling down it immediately redirects me to a page similar to the one posted by the OP.

As a result I have to look for areas on the page which do not have ads and place my finger just there! Sometimes, even before reading an article or a headline I first hunt for ads and mentally 'redflag' those areas so that I don't touch there accidentally. Imagine doing that on a 4.7" iPhone screen every time!

Ads related menace on mobile devices is growing day by day.

15. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

I feel the problem is more with people who think they can surf any site and do anything they want to on the Internet and there will be no downside. For years Apple users had this "Apple doesn't get viruses" attitude and it is now coming back to bite them.

16. bushman4 macrumors 68000

It's unusual but not impossible to get a virus on a non jail broken device. Doing a Hard Reset will usually eliminate "lingering website redirects"

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not unusual, such thing doesn't exist currently for stock ios firmware.
    If or when there is a virus for the iphone it would be well known and not a surprise that will only effect 1 person with advertising website page redirect.

18. PegasusTenma macrumors regular

PegasusTenma

I think it might be your phone just trying to tell you something....

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I have been using Apple products for many year NON jail broken and have never had any problems what so ever with such things.

If a person jail breaks their phone, all bets are off. My phone is too important to me and my company and I have no desire to put it or its information in jeopardy.

20. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The sandbox nature of iOS does render it extremely resistant to conventional viruses, I believe. The few documented cases of viruses involve users doing something out of the ordinary, like plugging their phones into a hacked charger, or jailbreaking their phone.

I think it's safe to say that for most part, the typical consumer can just use their iOS devices as and how they wish and not have to worry about viruses or malware.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You know what I've found helps? Reader View. If Safari figures out the page you're seeing has an article, there will be an icon in the address bar to the left, that looks like small lines of text. Tap that, and you get the article without any annoying links or ads.

If a website does that annoying splash screen ad that covers everything, I've found that Reader View cuts right through that and lets you read the article without even having to figure out how to get rid of the ad (or waiting for it disappear).

And maybe that annoys advertisers, but seriously, they need to fix how they deliver ads. If you've made it so obnoxious that I can't get to the content on the page, or even figure out how to interact with YOUR ad, then you don't deserve my attention.

22. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

I hear you!

But doesn't the Reader View devoid the page of any graphics that are present?

23. shotta287 macrumors member

I was just going to a post a new thread about this, its happened a few times to me over the past week. Thought it was a virus too!

24. a.guillermo macrumors regular

I would just think of it as someone who is trying to spam you. Those people with their annoying affiliate marketing....

25. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Not always. Usually when there are inline photos or graphics relevant to the article, reader View does a pretty decent job of incorporating them. I have no idea how it figures out a legit graphic from an ad though. Example attached.

Attached Files: