Is it possible for paper to get inside the trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jace88, Aug 29, 2011.

1. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

I gave my girlfriend the new 2011 11" Macbook Air and whilst she was doing some kind of craft work, managed to drop a very small piece of paper which she describes at about 1mm x 2mm in size (think something smaller than a hole punched circle) onto the track pad. In brushing it off, she isn't sure if it brushed off the Macbook Air or inside the enclosure (where the 'button' on the glass trackpad is). She can't tell if it's in there or if it went elsewhere since there's lots of small pieces of paper around. She tried shaking it but nothing came out.

So my question is whether there is any implications for the paper going inside. Looking at the photos on Step 13 of http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Air-11-Inch-Model-A1370-Teardown/3745/2 , it does look possible for a piece of paper to slip inside and fall into the insides.

My guess is probably not because the keyboard/trackpad presumably has an undercover tray of some form to separate it from the key components (i.e. logic board, etc) such as in the event of spilling food/drink, or just general dust accumulation and hence the tiny piece of paper would get caught there.

Any thoughts?

2. John hayman macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't know what you think the tiny sliver of paper will do, I doubt it would burst into flames? It could be inside but I doubt it the components are to tightly packed inside for any forign bodies, and its probably nothing compared to the myriad of breadcrumbs, hairs bodily oils and dust that will gather under the keys of the keyboard over the coming years, so I wouldn't worry,

3. Vanillian macrumors member

You're not sure, the piece of paper is non conductive and small, move on.

You have nothing to worry about.

4. Brandon0448 macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

+1 You'd be surprised and disgusted by the stuff you find stuck underneath a keyboard when you take apart it.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Is it possible? Yes. Should you care at all? Absolutely not.

6. jace88 thread starter macrumors regular

jace88

Thanks guys. You've helped assuage my fears here.

Not that it matters but on another note, the tiny piece of paper is actually a cut out off photo paper (the type you use in a consumer-grade inkjet printer) and I'd say is about the size of two or three eyelashes stuck together.

7. macneubie macrumors regular

8. jace88 thread starter macrumors regular

jace88