Is it possible for the iPad release to mimic the Verizon iPhone Launch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by urkel, Mar 3, 2011.

1. urkel, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

I'm wondering if its possible for the iPad release to mimic the Verizon iPhone launch. Long term then the product will do fine, but due to the popularity of the previous device then it isn't necessarily going to be a big "Launch Day" product. I know the comparison isnt EXACT because contracts/carriers affected the Verizon iPhone, but with 15M iPads sold and the iPad 2 being an incremental update then it's not necessarily a product that people need to buy immediately.

So what do you think? Maybe lines wont be insane at 5PM on March 11?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

The lines of iPad 2 are going to be epic. First off this isn't a copy of an 8 month old phone. This is a new machine. Second Apple is not doing online preorders so if you want one on day 1 you have to get in line. Sales begin at 5 PM (yes, PM) so people will be in line all day and the first sales will occur right in the middle of the evening news.

Coverage on the news all day and during the nightly shows will have lines on camera stretching around city blocks.

4. Krandor macrumors 6502

biggest phone launch in Verizon history = lack luster sales?

There were no lines because so many people bought online. Looks like Apple is removing that option this time.

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Not a chance. Apple wants long lines. Unfortunately I'll be stuck in one haha.

6. urkel thread starter macrumors 68030

Is this really a "new machine"? Its a spec upgrade and other than Facetime then everything you can do on the iPad 2 can be done on the iPad 1.

In the long run the iPad 2 should do fine. But we're talking about launch day and I'm not convinced that there's really a high demand among the 15M existing users to rebuy or if theres a huge number of people who skipped the original and waited this one out?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The pre-sale to existing customers was an unprecedented success, no question.
    The roll out to the consumers was lack luster and no matter how you spin it, VZW did not move as many phones as they had hoped and expected.

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I may just take my chances with Best Buy on the 11th since they will be selling them on launch, but then again I have no plans next Friday evening so I may be @ the Apple store instead.

9. urkel thread starter macrumors 68030

I always prefer Best Buy over Apple Store. Better return policy, reward zone bonus, more locations = less crowds. I know people always brag about the Apple Store "experience" but I could care less about whether an employee is friendly or knowledgeable since I do my research BEFORE buying products.

10. Saberj macrumors regular

That's my take as well.

As far as the subject at hand. I'm pretty sure the lackluster Verizon launch is because everyone knew that they were buying an out of date product that was "close" to getting a refresh. Why would you get the phone and be locked into a 2 year contract, when the iPhone 5 is just a few months away? That tends to kill off sales, especially when every review made mention of that fact.

11. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

Is it possible? Of course, it's possible. I don't think it'll be probable, though. But honestly the lines were kind of silly and didn't last but a couple of days max. I'd hope people would wise up and get it delivered or wait a few days. If I upgrade my iPad that's what I'll do.

12. urkel thread starter macrumors 68030

Thats true regarding phones. But the reason I see a slight parallel is that everyone who wants one already bought one (15M sold), and the people who didnt get one see it as a novelty. And that sentiment is reinforced by the slight hardware refresh and built in VGA webcam.

Also, a week ago I thought people were foolish for getting last gens iPad but in rethinking the whole thing then I'm feeling the old iPad is a fantastic choice.

-$349 an entry-point is seen as a "luxury device" is pretty easy to digest.
    -$529 64GB iPad vs $499 16GB iPad 2? Capacity may win over benchmarks
    -Buying last gen means no lines

So while its not exactly like the Verizon launch, with all things considered then I feel the iPad 2 lines may be a bit thinner than originally expected.

13. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Anything is possible. I don't think it will happen. Verizon iPhone 4 was a rare case with some many variables.

1. New carrier, not new product
    2. All kinds of fees
    3. Most people ordered online