Is it possible I'm over-using my battery due to awful cellular connection?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dvir971, Jun 8, 2017.

1. dvir971 macrumors regular

dvir971

I bought an iPhone 7 Plus like 4 months ago, and it's battery was superb, I had no complaint.
    However, recently my battery is draining like crazy and I just don't understand it. It's worse than the 4 year school old iPhone 5 I had before.
    I noticed around the same time that started I started to have 4G issues in my work place. I don't think it has to do something with the iPhone itself, since I'm experiencing it only while at work. It says 3G instead of 4G on top and the connection is so slow it takes entire minutes to load a page or a FB post.

Is it possible my battery is draining so fast because I'm straining the phone Constantly trying to load pages while I have slow connection all the time?

Or should I contact the importer about the device? Since I don't spend much time outside my workplace I can't check the battery usage with good connection

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Known fact that poor coverage will drain your battery quicker than one with full coverage.

3. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

^^^ This...OP: did you always have spotty coverage there or did you change jobs?

4. eyoungren, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yep, as Newtons Apple and bufffilm have said, poor signal will drain battery.

It's not that the battery itself is directly being hit though, so if the worry is that the battery is damaged and that's why you're having an issue that would not be the case.

What's happening is that your radios are constantly seeking the best signal. When that happens, they need power. And it's that need for power that drains the battery faster.

The only solution for poor coverage in areas like this where the battery gets hit is WiFi.