Is it possible ? iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Wowzera, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to upgrade an iPhone 3G running 3.1.2 to 4.0 and then jailbreak and unlock ?
    It's my brother's iPhone, he's currently running 3.1.2 and, since it has been bought locked from US, it has been jailbroken and unlocked to use with any SIM cards of my country.

2. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Yes, but I wouldn't advise moving past 3.1.3 unless you really have to. Performance will take a dramatic hit on fw 4.0, your 3G will pretty much crawl..

3. Wowzera thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the advice. Actually the iPhone 3G isn't mine, but my brother's. I currently own an iPhone 4 with 4.2.1, waiting for jb.

4. noiceT macrumors 6502a

there's really nothing of good for 3g'ers and iOS 4...imo

Folders maybe, but for the price you pay, not worth it.

There are the times though when certain apps require ios4, in which you gotta make the choice.

I personally have a 3G on 4.2.1, its a lot better than 4 and 4.1 for me. Nothing close to 3.1.3 sadly. I would like to downgrade, however I have no backup under 3.1.3.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The iPhone would need to have the SHSH saved in Cydia or Tinyumbrella for 4.0 in order to upgrade.

6. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

iOS 4.0 for iPhone 3G is the worse mistake Apple has done in years (Oh and Ping)

7. nanocore macrumors newbie

I have a 3G running 4.2.1 and while anyone's experience is relative, my experience with this combination is a good one. The only times I experience degradation is when I run the native apps consecutively. They stay resident until being forced out of memory when another app starts. As long as there is memory, the running native apps will stay there. This leads me to go down the path of jailbreaking so that I can use the task browser to force all the native apps that are running to quit so that I can get better response. Granted, I can restart the phone, but that takes a lot more time then going to a task browser and force quitting the running apps.

8. Lycanthroat macrumors regular

Alas, I bought my iPhone 3G this year during July, so I missed out on a super-smooth iPhone 3G running iOs3 (it came standard as iOs4).

I found that bite SMS andf Auto3G (two highly useful programs) slowed the phone down so much it was unbearable. I had to delete them (Auto3G is really, really good as well) but luckily found an app called Supercharged (memory mod) and it's sped up the phone quite dramatically. It's not made it crash/mess up anything either (which I was expecting). Deleting some useless Daemons and the Lang packs came in handy too.

From 18-30 MB of memory to 54-80 MB is very noticable :) You should try it OP.

9. STravisC macrumors regular

Not true ive got a 3g on 4.2.1 speedy quick!!! no diff from ios3