Is it possible now for 8GB RAM in late 08 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkSTi04, Aug 28, 2009.

1. MarkSTi04 macrumors regular

Can anyone shed some light on the RAM upgrade issue with the November 2008 MBP? Did Apple ever make it possible to get 8GB running right in my model? I know they have 8GB available as an option on the new MBP.

I asked the guy at the Apple Store when I got Snow Leopard if I would be able to upgrade to 8GB of RAM and he told me that the hardware would not let me do it. I have seen on the forums before that guys have 6GB running fine on there MBP, but 8GB had issues. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Mark Moseley

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

As far as I know, 8GB is only for the early/mid 2009 models. The prior models are still limited to 6GB.

3. MarkSTi04 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm that kind of sucks but I guess Ill have to make due with upgrading to 6GB and live with it. Im not planning to buy another MBP for awhile. The next Mac Im gonna buy is ether gonna be a Mac Pro or iMac.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There's an argument that it would be useless to go 6GB if you won't utilize it and you lose dual channel at the same time. You're better off just going 4GB unless you know you're going to need the 6GB.

5. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

I wonder if anyone has tested this with Snow Leopard yet. I came to the forum tonight to find an answer to this question as well. I have 4 in my MBP now and would love to kick it to 8.

6. darksnake macrumors newbie

id like to know that to, just installed SL yesterday, like to upgrade to 8GB.
    (late 2008 model)

7. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

^^^

If someone finds out the answer to this let me know. Love to see confirmation that it works properly with 8 GB.

8. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

And perhaps try running Snow Leopard in both 32-bit mode and 64-bit mode (to get the corresponding kernels) to see whether that makes any difference.

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

10. trondah macrumors 6502

Please show me some benchmarks with real applications showing 4GB as a bottle neck....

11. G.T. macrumors 6502a

I would also love to find out and also if someone could test to find out see what difference it makes for the 8gb with 32bit vs 64bit kernel

12. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

please
    +1

let me ask OWC about it.

13. redraidermacman macrumors regular

mactracker shows that the late 08 macbook pros will support 8gb and apple shows that they can take 4, not sure what difference it makes, but, at least it can take it....

14. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Someone must retry, there were those people that tried with leopard so they must still be able to get their hands on the ram to test, also some of the testers said they wonder if snow leopard would make a difference so hopefully we will know soon.

Also if it is an EFI issue thats what people said, all apple need to do is release an update. The hardware should support 8GB.

15. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

If the restriction is in Leopard, why Apple release it for the '09 models? To make you buy the new one?
    If it is in the firmware, then the same question applies.
    I hope that this update doesn't take the same time as it was for the Airport Extreme and the AirDisk ~ Time Machine functionality...
    For the first time :apple: made me feel I bought a Verizon computer... 8-S:confused:

16. insignificantMB macrumors member

I was waiting for snow leopard to be able to use 8gb in my late 08' mbp. I guess not anymore, does anyone know if the ram for the 2.53 ghz mbp will work on my 2.4 ghz mbp? (my 2.4 unibody wasnt listed)

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=86A4DF69A5CA7304

Or are there any other companies that might have individual 3 gb memory modules?

17. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Just to confirm, that's a 4GB kit that you linked. That is, two 2GB modules. But yeah, it should work fine in your 2.4 unibody.

By the way, are most of you guys interested in the 8GB and in buying them right now? Because I believe at current prices 8GB will cost around the same as a base 13" unibody MacBook Pro.

18. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The answer I got from a RAM seller tech support person: "The limitation is hardware based and even with 10.6 is still 6 GB."
    So who is right? NVIDIA ?

19. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

I don't have benchmarks, but it is quite easy for me to max out 4GB and have the thing swap out like crazy. It's not exactly fast when it starts doing that. Think running multiple (in my case 2) virtual machines, or editing multiple high-res photo's in Photoshop. It doesn't take a genius to know that if you use/do memory intense programs/tasks, you benefit from more. In some cases, more is always better.

20. eddysparks macrumors newbie

21. trondah macrumors 6502

Running two Vista VM's in Fusion should consume 2GB, how does that max out your 4GB of memory? I guess if you do some heavy photoshop on top of that it should start getting tricky.

What I'm asking though, is not if it's possible to max out 4GB by trying really hard, of course it's possible. What I'm asking is if you really max out 4GB by doing your daily normal work. Probably not by a long shot.

22. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yea, with just daily tasks, I consistently have 1.5 GB free. That changes when running Windows on Parallels. I can get as low as 13 MB free memory. In that way, 8 GB will benefit.

23. eddysparks macrumors newbie

Would this be a reason for why some can and some cant have more than 4GB?

24. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I've got 4GB and am left with 32MB free quite often when using photoshop CS4. Doesn't even have to be a resource intensive task for it to hog all the remaining RAM. I wonder if this is a Snow Leopard + CS4 issue...

Fabian

25. trondah macrumors 6502

I think you guys misunderstand how the OS handles memory. If you have no free memory that's a good thing. All available memory should be utilized as cache, which is what it normally does when running applications that needs it. 1,5GB free is 1,5GB wasted.

Just because you don't have any memory free, does not mean your applications don't have memory to use if needed.