Is it possible that iPhone 4 camera could get software digital stabilization?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Jul 4, 2010.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

The camera shake on video is the only thing that is bad about the iPhone 4 camera.

Is digital stabilization possible (even post processing if not real time) or is this something that is not technically possible with the hardware/processor?

2. theoallen macrumors newbie

theoallen

I think so...

I was also thinking about this and after researching everything i could about the camera, software, hardware, etc.... i did find that it is perfectly possible to do. The same software in the Mac's 'iMovie' could be used for digital stabilization after recording, and i don't think it would even be that hard for real time digital stabilization!

3. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Only if Steve Jobs decides if we need want and like it.

4. wellside macrumors newbie

Hi All

There are quite a few camera apps out now but could someone recommend a good one for image stabilization whilst taking photos?

There's a few which claim to offer "anti-shake" but the ones I've tried so far basically just wait for the camera to be still before taking the shot - fine for compensating for the camera moving but not really helpful if the subject is moving, especially in low light shots with a long exposure.

Thanks

wellside

5. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

This is interesting, for a matter of fact, the iPhone 4's video camera has digital stabilisation. Notice when you change from camera to video it zooms in. This is so there's a frame within the max resolution so when you move the phone sharply, that frame can around inside the max resolution in the opposite direction to minimise the effect of that movement. The same method is used in iMovie stabalization.
    Bring this to the camera would mean that there will be a loss in quality since you are effectively using the digital zoom. I think many apps use the accelerometer to judge when you are holding the phone still then take the pic automatically for you. I personally think that is the best way to do theqse things.

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I don't believe this 'sub framing' is used for stabilisation at all, I see no evidence whatsoever of it in taken footage.
    I believe it is simply a conceit to either make the image quality better, or easier to process, perhaps using a frame size exactly double 720p to make resizing it easier for the compressor?

7. AppleSmack macrumors regular

Try GorillaCam

Edit: Sorry, just noticed you said video.

8. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Not true. Please see my other thread here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=952774&page=2

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Thanks for the link ... :)

10. JoeC2k6 macrumors member

just bought camera+ for $2 best camera app out there imo. has the stabalization and updated for the ios4. i tried gorillacam and didnt really like it too much.

11. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

The evidence is in the fact that when I shake the camera in video mode it is far less apparent than when in camera mode. That simple

12. djdsas macrumors member

I would think someone would be able to write an app that would take
    adavantage of the gyroscope on Iphone 4 for true image stabilization?

13. coasterider macrumors regular

That's just an illusion. The video camera simply cuts off parts of the top and bottom of the sensor to create HD video instead of using the whole sensor and compressing it. This effectively cuts off the viewing angle and may seem less shaky because of it.