Is it possible that the new Macbook Pro's could support 6GB/8GB Memory?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acearchie, Dec 16, 2007.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Is this a technological advancement we can see in the near future?

Thanks

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Santa Rosa chipset has a max capacity of 4Gb. Intel's next chipset *may* support more RAM. I don't know the details.

3. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Link

There are so many topics on this already!

Both the Macbook (late '07) and Macbook Pro CAN support 8GB of RAM. There's just the question of where are you going to find 4GB modules? When they are more widely sold, you'll see more people using them.

4. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Nice so Apple are kind of ahead of todays technology ensuring that there products will work and stay up to date with future announcements

Nice work :apple:!

5. iMan G5 macrumors member

When/if we see 3 and 4 GB sticks we will see 6 and 8 GB of memory.

6. djellison macrumors 68020

Not really - they're using an intel chipset that can take a certain ammount of ram. Any manufacturer using the same chipset ( and many do ) would be the same.

7. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Sorry what I meant to say was that Apple is implementing technology which currently isn't available due to the size the component needs to be. Correct?

Well I hope there are some scientists working on a solution for all of us right this minute!

8. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

4GB modules are needed soon/now/yesterday, considering laptops (Apple's thin ones anyway) only have space for 2 modules one on top of the other.

In the supposedly ultra-thin to be announced next month, I wonder if it is even possible to have two memory slots stacked one on top of the other, or would Apple have 2GB soldered on, and just have one slot for upgrading/adding memory?

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:confused:

If the technology isn't currently available, just how is Apple using it?;)
    The SR chipset has a potential of 8GB of RAM. Almost every other PC maker is using these chips as well, so this isn't an Apple-only thing.

10. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Ive heard of 4gb Ram sticks being available from "2010 and beyond", so by that time, a LOT will have changed and chances are the MBP you get now will be outdated and you'd have a new 32 core MBP :D with a 1tb flash drive :D and bluray/hd-dvd burner and any other future technological advances that we dare to dream about :p

11. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well fortunately I figured out the answer myself! So I need not confuse anyone else.