iPad mini Is it possible the non retina Mini has been upgraded?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcdj, Nov 3, 2013.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I sold my 2012 Mini to fund an Air. Returned the Air (too big, too pink). Bought a 16gb loaner Mini (Space Gray) until the retina comes out.

I swear the thing runs a lot faster and smoother than my 2012 Mini. I restored from Cloud backup, not set up as new.

Someone mentioned the battery has a different spec than the 2012 Mini. I wonder if there are other changes.

I assume we will not see a tear down. Has anyone heard anything else?

2. Z3man macrumors 6502a

Would be nice to think it had been upgraded , but i doubt it.

Where did you hear about the battery?

Does the screen look exactly the same as the 2012 model, any difference in calibration or pixel structure etc.

3. rui no onna, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Can you test the battery life? Because the old 2012 Slate Mini has 16.3 watt-hour battery and based on specs, the 2013 Space Gray Mini has 23.4 watt-hour. Another thing I've noticed, the new Mini appears to have a T-Mobile version now.

4. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

More likely that software upgrades have increased performance. Even more likely that this is imagined...:eek:

5. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

No no, same old screen for sure. Not suggesting for a second that I got a retina.

The battery comment was here...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1662681&highlight=mini+battery+non+retina

6. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

7. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Not sure what you mean; was running 7.0.3 on the 2012, and now with the Space Gray.

Yes, imagined is possible, but in real world practice, for example, the ebay app definitely runs smoother. Spotlight is faster. Safari tabs are not refreshing as readily.

----------

Oh, well then it's settled. Thanks for your sage reasoned reply.

8. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

It's not entirely impossible that factory installed software is better than OTA updated software. Your new tablet is a truly.clean slate as well, without little bits of data that are hard to.get rid of on an old tablet. That's an upgrade right there. ;)

9. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

what i meant was exactly that - software updates had updated the os. I didn't know you had been running the latest update.

maybe yours was in need of a factory reset or something else was wrong with it?

as for your reply to the other guy - didn't he answer exactly what you asked? seems like a fairly binary question, what exactly do you need reasoned?

10. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

A random dude saying no, unless that random dude did a tear down or works at Apple, is conjecture at best, as logical, or ultimately correct, as it may be.

11. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

fair enough, that's true. but i think when you hear hoofbeats you should think horses before you think zebras, you know?

12. ucfgrad11 macrumors member

My intuition tells me that this is because it's like having a clean install. But I'm as far as you can get from a tech guru so it's possible :)

13. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

I guess the only reason I'm even considering the possibility is that they did some kind of upgrade, as I recall, with the ipad 2 at some point.

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

They did to a smaller 32nm process. Better battery life but performance was the same.

15. coco67 macrumors member

Hi, it's me who aksed if the battery upgrade on the website were a mistake or a real upgrade ?

Just look before, the ipad had a 16,3wh battery and the new one get a 23,4wh but with the same weight.

I don't know if it possible but the only thing you can do is to measure the weight and see if it's up to 308gr and test the battery life with a video play back?