Is it possible to access personal files across operating systems on a mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by deejay390, May 24, 2010.

1. deejay390 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I will be getting a MBP shortly and i am planning on install windows 7 on it with boot camp possibly with other operating systems like linux. My question is is it possible to access personal files like video, music, pictures etc across partitions and operating systems.

I have heard that this isn't very easy but i was also wondering, if i was to create another partition, not assigned to any particular operating system, could i just put all my personal files in there and access them that way, as i want to try and avoid creating duplicate copies of files. Is this possible? or is there another way?

Thanks for any help.

:)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, but you may need 3rd party software like NTFS-3G or HFSExplorer

3. deejay390 thread starter macrumors newbie

I assume that is for creating a blank partition with no other operating system. And this will work? it's just that i don't want to resize my partitions with the other operating systems on if this doesn't work as i will obviously have to start from scratch.

Appreciate the help!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

WIndows uses NTFS format which is only readable by OS X, you need NTFS-3G to write it. Windows can't even read HFS+ (OS X format) so you need e.g. HFSEXplorer to get access to it while on Windows

5. deejay390 thread starter macrumors newbie

so could i create a blank partition of a format that is supported by both windows and mac for just my personal files or is this still not possible.

Thanks again

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's possible but I can't see why you couldn't just use those apps. FAT32 is the only format supported by both and it has file size limit of 4GB.

7. deejay390 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok Thank you for your help.