Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRuggedLion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Detroit
Hey all, just as the thread title says.. Is it possible to add recycle bin to the Finder Sidebar? It would be a little faster. God I just realized how lazy I sound typing this.

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
It's possible.
Open Terminal.app and type in, "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles ON" hit enter, then type, "killall Finder", and hit enter.

Now that you can see invisible files/folders in the Finder, go to your user folder and locate the folder called ".trash" and drag it to the side bar.

Go back to Terminal and type in "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles OFF", enter key, "killall Finder", enter key.

Done.
Then again, that is a lot of work. Better take a nap first. :D

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
i dont know how but I do know that command + Tab puts files in trash

I don't know if I just misread what you wrote, but command+tab is the quick application switcher...

EDIT: Swift got it. And BTW that's one of the most useful things I've ever read anywhere...I have been constantly frustrated by the fact that delete does not delete files, but I always just put up with it.

TheRuggedLion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Detroit
It's possible.
Open Terminal.app and type in, "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles ON" hit enter, then type, "killall Finder", and hit enter.

Now that you can see invisible files/folders in the Finder, go to your user folder and locate the folder called ".trash" and drag it to the side bar.

Go back to Terminal and type in "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles OFF", enter key, "killall Finder", enter key.

Done.
Then again, that is a lot of work. Better take a nap first. :D

Lol, thanks a lot brother, great explanation. And honestly, I did take a quick power nap after creating this thread... :eek:

Retired
May 16, 2006
You can't empty it, but there is an option to put a delete button in the Finder toolbar...

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
You can't empty it, but there is an option to put a delete button in the Finder toolbar...

I was hoping someone would have said this. It's much easier this way, that's what I do. Just right-click or control click or hit View and Customize Toolbar and add the red delete button to the Finder toolbar. Highlight anything you want and press the red button, goes straight to the Trash.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California
1.) Make sure you are in column mode (command-3)

2.) Go --> Go to folder or Shift-Command-G and type "~/.Trash"

3.) File --> Add to Sidebar or Command-T

You will notice that the icon in the side bar is the same as any other folder. To fix this, click on your new sidebar icon, and control-click --> Get Info, or Command-I. Then, keeping this same window open, click the the trash on your dock. There, from this new window, relaunch the "Get Info" panel. You should now have two trash windows, and two "Get Info" panels. Select the icon from the old trash in its respective "Get Info" panel and hit Command-C. Then select the folder icon from the other "Get Info" panel, and hit Command V. All set.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA

You will notice that the icon in the side bar is the same as any other folder. To fix this, click on your new sidebar icon, and control-click --> Get Info, or Command-I. Then, keeping this same window open, click the the trash on your dock. There, from this new window, relaunch the "Get Info" panel. You should now have two trash windows, and two "Get Info" panels. Select the icon from the old trash in its respective "Get Info" panel and hit Command-C. Then select the folder icon from the other "Get Info" panel, and hit Command V. All set.

Way to resurrect an 18 month old thread :D

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Unfortunately emptying the Trash will cause the icon to revert back to a folder. Does anyone know a fix for that?

Jay2k1

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
I'm afraid you can't change this. The reason is, Mac OS stores information about a folder in a file inside. I believe it is called .DS_Store. Things like folder icon, folder color and so on are stored there. Now, if you change the icon for the .Trash folder, this is saved to a file called .DS_Store inside the Trash folder. Guess what happens if you empty the trash? Correct, all files inside are deleted, including this metadata file. Accordingly, the custom icon is gone and you see the default folder icon.

Also, putting the ~/.Trash folder into the sidebar doesn't let you right click -> empty trash, so I find it kind of useless anyway. I guess I'll have to stick to using the dock icon.

Regards, Jay

PS: I know, bringing up an old thread and stuff, but I just googled for "adding trash to sidebar" and this was the first hit. So I thought, why not answer an open question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.