Is it possible to add Video Recording in the iPhone with a software update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gamerdude94, Nov 30, 2008.

1. gamerdude94 macrumors newbie

Is it possible for Apple to have the iPhone record video with a software update?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    No but it is available by using Cycorder. But that is a jailbreak only app

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You don't even need a software update. We've been able to do it since 1.1.3.

Heck, I have a video recorder on my iPhone right now.

The answer is yes. The answer to, "Will they?" is no.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I completely disagree I think it is just a matter of time before apple releases a video recording function with a future update. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. :)

5. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

It is definitely possible for Apple to add video recording to the iPhone with a software update.

The Blackberry Curve launched with version 4.2 software. This never included a video recorder. An update to 4.5 brought in a video recorder as well as Word & Excel document editing.

No extra hardware is needed as jailbroken iPhone's can download and run video recording software.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

please tell how you are privy to such info:rolleyes:

but yea, cycorder is a sweet app

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They might. If it was their intention to give us one, because it is possible they would have done it already. It'll probably be one of those "Oh, we took FireWire 800 off of the 15" MacBook Pro because we thought you wouldn't notice, but it seems that you want it after all so we'll put it on there" things.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Or they are saving up features to headline in the 3.0 firmware. This along with MMS and the oft-requested copy and paste would seem to be likely candidates, although perhaps not all of them at once...

9. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i don't have an iPhone but why would Apple put the capability of recording in the iPhone if they had no intentions of allowing use of it. They could have put in a simple picture camera if they wanted to, but they didn't.

Anyone see where I'm going with this?

10. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

I think the fact that Apple "forbids" it in its SDK sounds like Apple wants to do it themselves down the line.

Qik supposedly has found a workaround in the SDK, but who knows if and when they will submit it and if Apple will actually approve it.

My guess is that video recording will be standard when the next generation iPhone is released, and everyone else will get a software upgrade. :apple:

11. iSaga macrumors regular

Cycorder is probably the best made app in both Cydia and the app store. The fact that it isn't in the app store tells me apple has plans of their own video recorder at some point, otherwise Cycorder would be in the app store.

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Cycorder can't (in theory) be released on the App Store as it use non-public APIs which are against the terms and conditions for inclusion on the store.

13. firewood macrumors 604

hardware issues?

This might be a hardware issue. Video recording might violate the max power envelope of one of the chips, expose a subtle system level bug in one of the chips, or leave a security loophole open. If so, that's why the API isn't open, and it will never be a software update.

The Cycorder people didn't have to test for any of these potential problems, since they don't provide a device warranty.

14. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I doubt it is a hardware problem. It obviously can be done, seeing as it has been done... If it causes a security problem, I suppose they could lower the quality so that it doesn't create a bug? idk.

I'm thinking Apple is waiting to use it as an advertising tool with a new version that they can make more money on is introduced. Hopefully, at that point it will be a simple software update.

15. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I see lots of people posting messages like this. I just don't quite understand it? To what benefit of Apple is it to hold back features that have been available on competitor phones for a very long time?

How about just releasing the stuff all other phones have and working on new and unseen features for future models and software updates?

Apple shouldn't be playing catchup in the feature department. They should be leading the way with innovation!

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I am surprised no one has corrected you. It is absolutely possible to enable video recording via a software update.

The big question is whether or not Apple will actually do it...

17. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

It's outrageous that Apple doesn't release a video recorder or at LEAST allow 3rd party recorders.

Video recorder is the #1 reason I jailbreak. (Like to have the ability to record the kids whenever and wherever I want.) :)

18. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

the reason is the hardware that isn't capable of capturing smooth video.
    the consequence is as someone said, tha apple don't release any feature.

i think that apple wants to keep iphone perfect.. so perfect that even is better to not to have such feature as to be threaten by bad presses.

19. payup macrumors member

Take iPhone, duct-tape to camcorder, and voila!

20. milani macrumors 68000

milani

This is how I see it happening. Instead of releasing a new version of the iPhone (which is very unlikely to happen in the next year, and definitely won't happen in January), Apple can release 3.0 firmware, and give the iPhone a second (or third if you count the original iPhone) level of productivity and functionality. Copy paste, MMS (I'm not so sure about this one), document editing, note syncing, push notifications for applications, etc. That way, they don't need to physically upgrade the phone (assuming the hardware is capable of running said updates, which I suspect it would be), and they can continue to sell the iPhone to new buyers while not excluding or alienating the old ones who are locked into lenghty contracts.

21. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Sadly, apple doesn't need these features to make money. They have a very hot product as it is and everyone else is playing catch up. When it cuts into their bottom line, they'll add the features like video, copy and paste etc. To get their edge back. Don't show all your cards if you've already won.
    I don't agree with it, but it seems to be working very well for them.

22. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I want to see it documented or written somewhere that the hardware isn't capable of recording smooth video. I don't see why it can't?:)

23. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

keep the phone perfect, thats funny because its the lack of these basic features that is making the iphone not to be perfect today. Cycorder does capture smooth video.

24. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I completely agree, cycorder videos have always turned out great from my phone.

25. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

That's on the money, Imo.
    Apple will roll out the features as 'innovations' when they consider the competition as major threats.
    They do things in their own sweet time, like at MacWorld '08, where they announced the 'new' possibility of sending an SMS to multiple people at once. :p