Is it possible to assign a shortcut to hide/show a specific application?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MetaLeecA, May 6, 2011.

1. MetaLeecA macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

This is my first post, and i might have posted it twice I'm not sure, so if i have please ignore it.

I was wondering if there was any way to assign a keyboard shortcut to show and or hide a specific application no matter what application I'm running?

Here's the skinny...
    I'm forgetful as balls, so I'm having a lot of fun trying to tweak stickies around my needs, and to make doing so fast!
    I have stickies launch at log in so whatever i have typed to myself, it will be there on the screen the next morning. I then have it running 100% of the time as floating translucent windows, and simply hide the application when I don't want it in front of me.

If i can make a keyboard short cut to show and or hide the application, i would've created the ultimate memory recollection system!

If anyone could shed some light on the situation I appreciate the hell out of it! And I promise to pay it forward ;)

Thanks in advance, Lee

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. MetaLeecA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for your help, but I'm not sure you understand what I'm trying to achieve.
    I need to be able to show and hide stickies no matter what window is front most, if I'm using safari and i want to hide stickies, i first have to click on one of the notes then command + H, unless it closes Safari.

4. MetaLeecA thread starter macrumors newbie

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're right; I have no idea what you want to do. If you are using Safari, the active Safari window is in front of any sticky notes. Why do you then need to hide the note when you already can't see it? How about maximizing the Safari window?

6. MetaLeecA thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I'm using floating translucent windows, they always appear front most, so that way when I'm using safari and they're in the way, i have to click on them to activate the command option for Stickies instead of Safari.

7. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Quicksilver would let you do what you're wanting. I haven't used it in ages, but there's recently been released a new beta, so it might be worth looking into.

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

You could use Quicksilver or Spark to trigger an applescript that shows/hides the app via a global shortcut.

Something like this :

Code:
    tell application "System Events"
    	get frontmost of application "Stickies"
    	if result is false then
    		tell application "Stickies"
    			activate
    		end tell
    	else
    		tell application "System Events"
    			set visible of process "Stickies" to false
    		end tell